Water inside connector

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
Jaman42

Water inside connector

Post by Jaman42 »

Hi I'm working on my power supply at the moment. I need to be able to detach the cables for charging. I can make a couple of connectors for this use but I'm thinking about how important it is for them to stay dry. Would water inside the connector be an issue?
fryslan76

Re: Water inside connector

Post by fryslan76 »

Water in the connector does not have to be an issue. Only it might seep through the cable into the hull. Which is in most cases an issue ;)
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

depends on how close the pins are to each other, you want them as far apart as posssible!
TigerShark

Post by TigerShark »

Fill the connector with non-conductive grease and that should keep the water out as long as the grease can't move somewhere else.
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Thanks for the replies guys, it might not be that big of a deal then. I can make a design where the pins aren't right next to each other and use a non conductive grease. That's what you use in the professional made connectors as well right?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Hey Jaman,
Have a look at this thread. HERE.

This is the same method I am using to connect my B.R. T100's. The bullet connectors provide a electrical connection that penetrates the hull, without letting water in (assuming you are careful mounting and potting all the female halves!)

Works like a charm, or so I have been assured!
kenl

Post by kenl »

I had a similar setup, in salt water i found the connector on the battery side would corrode in a matter of minutes if it was left out in the air with sea water on it. If I immediately washed it with fresh water it was ok, the setup I used was a relay controlled by a reed switch and magnet that would turn on or shut down the ROV, when the ROV was off the charge port was live so I carried a spray bottle to wash down the charge port , that was just a XT 60 connector hanging out the back of the ROV