9 DOF MPU 9150 Sensor

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
theinlinaung

9 DOF MPU 9150 Sensor

Post by theinlinaung »

Hi, I am planning to use this 9 Axis gyro, accelerometer and compass module in my rov.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11486

Here I found a cheaper one with the same code MPU9150 but the title says only gyro sensor.
http://www.dx.com/p/mpu9150-triaxial-gy ... 86lcJSSz1s

Are they two function the same?
kenl

Re: 9 DOF MPU 9150 Sensor

Post by kenl »

Are using a Arduino to connect them too? The reason I ask is that the multiwii flight controller boards are loaded with sensors, gyro, accel, compass and more depending on the board. They also have a 328p or mega on board that can be programmed with your Arduino sketch. They also have motor connection pins for your esc's to plug into and usually a few analog pins for additional sensors.

Remember that if the board does not have a usb port on it you will need a FTDI adapter.

Another IMU I found was this one it's different but does the same as the second one you listed.
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

kenl wrote:Are using a Arduino to connect them too? The reason I ask is that the multiwii flight controller boards are loaded with sensors, gyro, accel, compass and more depending on the board. They also have a 328p or mega on board that can be programmed with your Arduino sketch. They also have motor connection pins for your esc's to plug into and usually a few analog pins for additional sensors.

Remember that if the board does not have a usb port on it you will need a FTDI adapter.

Another IMU I found was this one it's different but does the same as the second one you listed.
Yes I am using an Arduino. I have never heard of using wii boards as Arduino. Are they flexible and cost effective as Arduino?
Does your chip contain compass module?
Thank you for your time.
kenl

Post by kenl »

They are designed to control planes and Multicopters, but basically they are a PCB that will accept Arduino code. All of the Multiwii stuff is written in C++ and can be edited etc in the Arduino GIU, but you do not have to use their code for your ROV, it wouldn't work, you can use your own code though. The board I am using now is the one shown in the following diagrahm, it has a compass
mwi.jpg
mwi.jpg (185.16 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
amongst other bits and pieces. This board would cost about $40, hobby king sell it, but I think it comes only as a bundled package with a gps for $70. There are cheaper boards that use 328 chips instead of the mega, but most of them need a FTDI to use for programing.

The 328 chip is used on many of the Arduino boards such as the Promini, nano, leonardo etc. The promini needs an FTDI too if you decide to use one of them.

The only reason I suggest it is that to me it seems the cheapest way to get all the bits and pieces and have them in a neat package, when it's all over you can throw the Multiwii code on the board and build a quad copter, or whatever.