Longest possible Serial connection to Aruino

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
TwoBeaner

Re: Longest possible Serial connection to Aruino

Post by TwoBeaner »

theinlinaung wrote:So I can use this converter with a CAT5 cable and able to send messages via Serial from computer to arduino?
Can you post the video sent over this setup? I am planning to use a full HD camera but if the speed doesn't allow, I'll have to change plans.
I know I'm not the one you were asking but I have purchased several of those exact adaptors from Monoprice for some video conferencing rooms at my work. I have found them to be a bit buggy (sometimes loosing connection) and changing USB ports is the only thing I have found to get them going again (very frustrating). Not to mention they are only USB1.1 so that could be problematic with HD video for you.
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

I thought about using usb to cat5 originally, but USB1.1 wasn't good enough for my camera so I am just going to daisy chain usb extender cables like this one
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2
There is a small circuit board on the far end that boosts the signal so it can travel another 15ft, so it is a lot bulkier than cat5
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

jpWA wrote:I thought about using usb to cat5 originally, but USB1.1 wasn't good enough for my camera so I am just going to daisy chain usb extender cables like this one
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2
There is a small circuit board on the far end that boosts the signal so it can travel another 15ft, so it is a lot bulkier than cat5
I think I would just use that cable according to fair price and reasonable length. Our ROV max depth is 10m so we would use only one cable. Have you already tried this setup?
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Sorry about the delay. Unfortunately I do not have any footage, and I haven't gotten it in the water yet. It was good enough to make out what things are, but as for being good quality, well it was only 144p at I think 15 Fps. 15 Fps was fine with me, but I would try to do full screen on 144p, and while you could use it, it really annoyed me. I'm kind of designing my second ROV before the first one is running (almost finished), and seems like a much better idea to go with some sort of IP camera that has ethernet output. Cat5 can usually go 333 feet before needing a repeater.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Sorry about the delay. Unfortunately I do not have any footage, and I haven't gotten it in the water yet. It was good enough to make out what things are, but as for being good quality, well it was only 144p at I think 15 Fps. 15 Fps was fine with me, but I would try to do full screen on 144p, and while you could use it, it really annoyed me. I'm kind of designing my second ROV before the first one is running (almost finished), and seems like a much better idea to go with some sort of IP camera that has ethernet output. Cat5 can usually go 333 feet before needing a repeater.

Sorry, I have no idea why it double posted. :o If you look further up the thread I have a screen shot of the quality I was getting.