Longest possible Serial connection to Aruino

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
rovdude

Longest possible Serial connection to Aruino

Post by rovdude »

So USB has a limit of 15 feet. I connected it to a cat5 converter(only USB 1.1 speed, didn't want to pay for the 2.0 speed) for my Arduino. The 1.1 has a max distance of 130 feet, and the 2.0 has a max distance of 330 feet. Has anyone discovered a way to get a larger distance with a different connection? I want the largest possible distance for Serial data to be sent between my Arduino and the computer( I will have onboard batteries, so this connection will be my only tether)
kenl

Re: Longest possible Serial connection to Aruino

Post by kenl »

I'm not sure what you mean by a cat 5 converter, many of us have used a MAX488 IC at each end for serial communication, with up to 1500m of transmission distance being possible. It requires 4 wires for the data, which leaves 4 for video and maybe audio.

Ryan did a good write up on them HERE, they are available as a loose chip at about $5 each or I think I have seen them on breakout boards too?

For what it's worth, I got 110m transmission just using the Rx and Tx on my arduino's using one pair out of a cat 5 cable, it created a very fussy video though.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Thanks a lot! THIS is what I mean by USB to cat5 converter.

I still am not completely clear on this though. This looks like serial between two Arduinos, I need serial between my Arduino on the ROV and my computer. Can I use this setup with two Arduinos, one up top and one onboard, and connect the Arduino up top to my computer via USB for serial data? Or am I seeing this completely wrong?

And when you said you have fuzzy video, how is compared to this? This is what I get with a 720P Microsoft Lifecam5000 with the USB to cat5 converter above(on USB 1.1 speed, so it lost quality) This is actually through Debut Video Software Capture, I will be displaying it through a Processing Program with my headings, and using this software to do screen capture
Attachments
ROV camera.jpg
ROV camera.jpg (196.85 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
kenl

Post by kenl »

Sorry I had miss read your first post and had only seen the serial data part not that you were connecting to a computer. I was referring to connecting two arduinos together, although when reading up on the various data types and the max488, I think one of the uses showed it connected to a computer, but that may have been to the old style serial ports.

When I say fuzzy I mean fuzzy, your screen grab there is crystal clear :D

Ken
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Haha that's alright. But technically I could have the Arduino topside just connected to my computer with Serial.print() statements of what it's receiving from the Arduino on the ROV right?
kenl

Post by kenl »

Yeah I'm sure it would work, I've been working on just that.

Except that I am printing to a 16x2 LCD, works fine.

So far I've got my depth, heading, gear (3 speed settings) and leak sensor displaying on the LCD.

Next, I really want to get it on screen (OSD) but despite having the hardware and apparently the software to do it.............. :cry:
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Thanks! That should work perfectly then.
Next, I really want to get it on screen (OSD) but despite having the hardware and apparently the software to do it.............. :cry:
Will you be using a display like THIS (not necessarily touchscreen though) or display on your computer
kenl

Post by kenl »

The effect I'm looking for is an overlay on my video screen, I don't use a computer for the rov, except at home for programing.

When I take the ROV for a swim it's just 2 arduinos (one top one bottom) a PS2 controller and a 7" screen.

There are a lot of OSD systems available but they all seem to use gps input only, I have a E-osd by hobbyking that overlays voltage and elapsed time but I NEED compass bearing and would love an artificial horizon. there are also other little messages that would be handy on the overlay, such as lights on, front or rear camera, LEAK! :shock: LEAK! :shock:

The LCD I'm using is the basic 16 Characters x 2 lines, there are 20 x 4 lines ones available for less than $10 but I can't figure out if they use the same libraries or not
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

I don't know anything about those OSD's, but you might be able to program it through Processing. I know for the full color LCD screens you can use Processing, very similar to Arduino, it MIGHT be the same for the OSD. But I am by no means knowledgeable about them :shock: :?
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

rovdude wrote:Thanks a lot! THIS is what I mean by USB to cat5 converter.

So I can use this converter with a CAT5 cable and able to send messages via Serial from computer to arduino?
Can you post the video sent over this setup? I am planning to use a full HD camera but if the speed doesn't allow, I'll have to change plans.