Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz / .10 Brushless motors / 30amp ESC/BEC

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
scubersteve

Re: Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz / .10 Brushless motors / 30amp ESC/

Post by scubersteve »

well on the 2.4Ghz units they are not called "dsc" ports, they are called "trainer" ports and they are used to link two transmitters for the purpose of having a more experienced rc pilot on hand to override poor decisions made by a newbie. However for our purposes they are the same as they both output a ppm (pulse position modulation) signal. You can use a ppm-to-pwm (pulse width modulation) converter for the 2.4Ghz systems to input the signal from the transmitter over two wires and convert it to esc or servo control signals.

Which is what I am utilizing on both of my projects.

<><
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Thanks Steve

So you have to convert the PPM signal to something else it doesn't just link to the receiver as is
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

The converter replaces the receiver and is what the ESCs or servos connect to.
I don't know if the 2.4Ghz transmitters will work with the dsc equipped receivers instead of the converter, but you would think they would.
<><
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

@martin my video is clean without any RF noise when operating. Nothing like these guys experienced in the youtube video. That is a result of the speed controllers spewing RF and in very close proximity to the video camera on board.
martinw

Post by martinw »

Good to know BikerBones, cheers :)

Martin
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Using ferrite rings with three or four turns of your wire around them will help reduce or eliminate RF interference. I have seen them on speed controller leads, power leads and video out leads. I personally never had any issues without them but it will help if you experience troubles with noisy video.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

scubersteve wrote:The converter replaces the receiver and is what the ESCs or servos connect to.
I don't know if the 2.4Ghz transmitters will work with the dsc equipped receivers instead of the converter, but you would think they would.
<><
So if I understand the 2.4 isn't really a DSC so the 2.4 rx doesn't plug into transmitter like on a 72mhz would with the real DSC? Clear as mud ;)

If the rx wont work where do I find the Converter.

Mean while I am looking at a radio set up like Bikerbones mentioned the JR 72 mhz

Thanks again guys
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

DSC stands for (direct servo control) meaning you can operate servos without the transmission of RF (radio frequency). It uses the PPM stream (pulse position modulation) directly with out transmitting over the air. Other manufacturers use the terms "buddy box connection" or "trainer port" etc.. Bottom line many RC radios outputs PPM some output PCM. How you get that data and make use of it will depend on the radio you choose and where you need to "tap into it" to obtain the PPM the ESC has to see to operate.

Here is a known list of PPM output radios I am 100% positive you can use and some in the list have details as to where or how to find the PPM out.

Multiplex Royal Evo series 7/9/12 (5 pin DIN 2=supply out, 4=ppm out, 3&5=gnd & must be jumped together)
Multiplex Royal Evo Pro series 7/9/12 (5 pin DIN 2=supply out, 4=ppm out, 3&5=gnd & must be jumped together)
Multiplex Cockpit SX (5 pin DIN 2=supply out, 4=ppm out, 3&5=gnd & must be jumped together)
Multiplex Profi MC3010/3030/4000 (5 pin DIN 2=supply out, 4=ppm out, 3&5=gnd & must be jumped together)
Hitech Aurora 9, take out normal RF module and use module pins from left : 1=ppm, 2=supply, 3=GND (4 and 5 are not used)
Hitech Eclipse 7
Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz version (6 pin square)
Futaba 6EX 72MHz version (6 pin square)
Futaba T7CAP (6 pin square)
Futaba FF7 (6 pin square)
Futaba 8FG
Futaba T9CP (6 pin square) same as T9CHP
Futaba T9ZHP (6 pin round DIN)
Futaba T9ZAP
Futaba 10C (6 pin square)
Futaba 10CG (6 pin square)
Futaba 10CP (6 pin square)
Futaba 10CAP (6 pin square)
Futaba 12ZAP ok in PPM8 & PPM12 no power out in trainer connector (WORKS with 309 FIRMWARE in all modes)
Futaba 12FGA fine in 8ch mode,(WORKS with 309 FIRMWARE in all modes)
Futaba 12FG fine in 8ch mode, (WORKS with 309 FIRMWARE in all modes)
Futaba 14MZ ok in PPM8 mode, (WORKS with 309 FIRMWARE in all modes)
Futaba 14MZP (WORKS with 309 FIRMWARE in all modes)
Futaba FX18
Futaba FX30
Robbe Futaba FC28
Hitec Optic 6
Spectrum DX5e - DX6i - DX7 (3.5mm jack)
Spectrum DX8 (3.5mm jack)
SANWA RD8000 - (5 pin DIN 1=supply out, 2=gnd, 3=ppm out)
Graupner MX12 - MX16S (3.5mm jack)
Graupner MC22 - MX22 - MC24 - MX24 (3.5mm jack)
Graupner 2011 HOTT (3.5mm jack mono 2 contacts, front is PPM and shaft is gnd)
JR 3810 DSC jack
JR XP6102 DSC jack
JR 9303 DSC jack
JR 11x zero (Asia version) in ppm8 mode ok, (WORKS with 309 FIRMWARE in all modes), 3.5mm jack
JR X 9303 the special 2.4GHz version
Turnigy 9X
Turnigy 9XR
ArtTech E-Fly100C, same 3.5mm jack as Graupner
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Correct. The 2.4Ghz receiver does not plug into the radio and is not used for a direct connection setup like we use.

Here is the converter I'm using...
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/index.php?mai ... iews_id=60

It comes and goes out of stock so just keep checking on it.

I am using a DX6i with it and a 75 audio cable as a tether...working good on the bench so far.

If you don't already have a radio you might consider this as it has all the necessary features and is pretty cheap...although I have no personal experience with it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... de_2_.html
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Thanks Guys

The list and help are awesome. I just missed a radio like Bikerbones is using on Flea Bay had to be out of town when it ended and didn't bid enough before I left, :cry: oh well I will find one ore maybe buy a new one like Scubersteve mentioned.

That Converter looks like it costs less than a receiver, Cool, Again thanks for the help guys