Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz / .10 Brushless motors / 30amp ESC/BEC

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
dna1990

Re: Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz / .10 Brushless motors / 30amp ESC/

Post by dna1990 »

ROVALTON wrote: I do have a new question you may be able to answer... I've been researching waterproof RJ45 connections, the best I can come up with so far for the price and availability are the Laird ones.
http://www.balticnetworks.com/rj45-ethe ... tdoor.html
Those are simply 'pass thru' glands with a hole big enough to pass the RJ45 connector. If your intent was to be able to unplug the cable for transport, etc - you will need something like the Bulkin ones mentioned.

And if you are fine with permanent mounting, a gland is a place to start (keeps it neat, acts abit as a strain relief) - but it will only stop water between the cable and your enclosure. You must also consider water getting into the jacket and at depths of 100', maybe even in the individual pairs. This would be due to just some small nick or stress crack over time. The cable lays out in the sun, get coiled and folded for weeks/months - probably going to fail somewhere. Not date-wise, but in terms of water intrusion.

So plan to still pot inside the enclosure, and even pot the individuals pairs - as discussed here: http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtosealingwireexits.html

Last note, on the website that gland states IP68, but the datasheet states only IP67. I have no science proof, but IP68 is probably good for casual usage to maybe 20'. To operate near 100', the gland alone is not enough. Fully seal/pot from the inside.
ngkb

Post by ngkb »

Hmmm, i see! I will try it out when i get my controller back from my friend, maybe in the noon!
I hope there will be no problem!

Thanks steve!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Programming a radio can be a royal PITA at times. No two radios are identical so programming parameters and terminoloigy may be different. You will have to read your radio manual and experiemnt with channel mixing . It took me a week before I got it where I wanted it to be. Someone with a lot of RC experience could have probably done it in minutes :roll:
ngkb

Post by ngkb »

Biker, I still don't get how my motors are going to turn left or right. Since I have only got one motor now, I managed to make my motor to turn clockwise and anti clockwise. Guess I will be getting another motor tomorrow. Shall see how it goes with the configurations made according to yours!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Well if you get stuck give me a PM. If I am kicking around the shop over the weekend I will look over the manual for your radio and see if I can take some of the pain out of the programming aspects for you.
ngkb

Post by ngkb »

Thanks alot Biker! Btw, my model is FS-T6. The shopkeeper told me it took the concept of spektrum. so yeah. thanks! :D
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

So are you still planning on using the dx5e for control?
I can verify that the spektrum trainer ports do output a pwm signal which the foxtech pwm-to-ppm converter works with nicely to control ESC's.
<><
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

bikerbones1968 wrote:Cat 5 is more than enough for conductor to drive a PPM signal to the receiver on the ROV. To get the stick inputs on your radio to do what you want for motor control its all in the radio programming menus.

For example in my JR XP6102 72MHZ FM TX using DSC this was the basic programming parameters.

I will explain it best I can. I went into the Mix menu and for MX1 selected AIL to ELE. I set AIL to -100% ELE to -100% SW was set to ALWAYS ON

Then in the mix menu for MX2 I selected ELE to AIL and set ELE +100% and AIL +100% SW was set to ALWAYS ON.

With these settings the AIL channel mimics the ELE channel so pushing the stick up, both motors will run forward, pushing the stick down both motors run in reverse.

Now MX2 being programmed exactly opposite in settings as MX1 when pushing right on the stick the left motor runs forward and right motor in reverse turning the ROV right. Stick to the left makes the right motor run forward and the left motor run in reverse turning the ROV to the left.

Another cool thing when going in a forward direction and for some reason i.e. water current is present and I am drifting to the left or right, I can feather the control either right or left slightly to apply more speed to one or the other thrusters compensating for drifting. When reversing the controls it also allow you to feather left or right with the same results. Each stick movment on any of four diagonal positions operate the motors independantly either forward or reverse.
I have been looking for this info for a few weeks now :D I was told if the radio had mixing you could some how turn with your forward -reverse thrusters, I just built the motor mounts today for steering thrusters because I couldn't find this info Thank You

So if I am, reading your post correctly you have your receiver and battery in the ROV pressure hull and are controlling it using the DSC Plug hooked to 1 pair on your Cat 5 tether?
martinw

Post by martinw »

Cautionary tale regarding video and control on the same cable without any shielding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_vFeTaZKpA

Just thought it might be of interest, not sure of the details and haven't got that far with my ROV (still at the thruster design stage) but basically whenever the thrusters are engaged the video starts jumping around. This may of course be nothing to do with using the same CAT5 cable for communication and video and may be related to the power supplies on the ROV.

Martin
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

I just re-read all of the above info and on the links Thank you for the info.

I am confused as to why the 2.4ghz radios have the DSC plug, but it appears that some do.

With the flood of 2.4 its seems crazy to find and older 72 or 75 for my project or am I missing something.

Thanks for any help

Joe