Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz / .10 Brushless motors / 30amp ESC/BEC

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
bikerbones1968

Re: Spektrum DX5e 2.4ghz / .10 Brushless motors / 30amp ESC/

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Ok so what I have found so far.... it appears the RS600 should work fine and is DSC capable (not 100% confirmed via testing as I don't own one). It looks like the S400 has a "trainer port" only and from the manual there is no mention of DSC anywhere in the literature. My best GUESS is it does not output PPM from that port. I know other JR radios has "DSC" stamped in the plastic above the 3.5mm port if it is DSC capable. The SX600 is DSC capable but I think your radio is a generation prior to this function. Thats not to say you cant locate the PPM signal from your radio and mod/hack to achieve the same goal.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Bikerbones

Yes the s400 does say DSC

I have the Yellow wire on the tip of the 3.5 pin and the black Ground on the shaft of the 3.5 pin

The black wire is in the same location on the Rx as the battery black wire would be if I had it plugged in.

Is there a way t check the yellow wire for a PPM signal

I will later today try flipping the 2 wires we will see.

Like I said before if this works it would be good for testing but I still need to find a 6 or more channel radio to run my ROV once testing and debugging are complete. trying to find a Jr like yours (missed a couple) and/ or looking at the Turnigy 9x just not sure what Rx is needed for that set up

Thanks again

Joe
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

The only way I know you can test for the PPM signal is with an osiliscope. The tip should be the PPM signal and the shield (side) should be ground. I am still digging for information for you on that R600 RX. How are you powering the RX?
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Well I have found some mention while researching that the only two JR recievers that ARE NOT DSC capable are the R600 and R610. If this is a fact and your using one of these RX's that may be why its not working. If you have neglected to supply power to the RX via a BEC from an ESC or from an external RX battery then I would have to slap you really hard!!! Just kidding LOL.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

No need for that :o

I am powering the Rx off of my 1st Esc and the other 2 Esc have the Red (center wire) cut

The whole thing works with the radio (Tx) turned on and the DSC un-plugged but when I turn off the Tx and plug the DSC jack in the radio light come on like it should, but the ESC flash red witch is no signal present from the Rx and it doesn't work

Again Thanks
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Then my best guess is that that particular RX is not DSC capable. Hard to find anything concrete in the JR manuals as to what is or is not DSC compatible. I have a R700 RX and it works perfectly.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Well I received my R700 receiver today plugged it into the S400 transmitter and the system work just as described above. Thank you Bikerbones and everyone else.

So my ROV is ready for a depth pressure test and a little wiring to do it will be ready for the first dive :D
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

That is great news keep us posted.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Bikerbones

Did you attach your tether with the same external exposed bullet connectors that you showed back in the beginning of this thread?

I used a 12 pin male/female that I attached to the ROV so I could disconnect the tether, but as my ROV was in the water all the speed controls got real glitchy, so I pulled the DSC wire out of the receiver and the ROV ran perfect off of the antenna, mind you this was a test run at the dock in 3-4 ft of water. I will have to dig into it yet but was wondering if you had any problems and if your connections had gotten wet.
Attachments
DSCN1330.JPG
DSCN1330.JPG (53.22 KiB) Viewed 4821 times