Direct Servo Control (DSC) with RC Tx/Rx

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
bigbadbob

Re: Direct Servo Control (DSC) with RC Tx/Rx

Post by bigbadbob »

I agree. I have a fixed camera but would like to tilt down to look at a dive compass and depth gauge mounted on the front.
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

I like this idea, seems simple, have an old JR (never used it though) and would like to try your setup. Few questions though.

How do you program / sync the esc with the TX? I thought each channel is designated for one function i.e. Throttle on one, servo on other etc. How do I setup so throttle stick fires two motors at the same time? Do I need two RX for this?

Derelicte mentioned that you can run ESC from any channel, how?
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

an esc can be plugged into any channel on the receiver and control a motor. each stick axis is one channel, so the channel you plug the esc into determines which stick controls it. the first 4 channels are typically the 4 axes of the sticks. channels 5+ are usually on switches, dials, etc depending on the radio.

if you want two escs to respond to one stick, then things get interesting. if you have a newer computer radio that allows for mixing, then you can slave one channel to another. you plug one esc into the master channel on the rx and the slave into another channel. if you don't have a computer radio, then you can use a y cable to send the signal to two escs. obviously this means both escs will be operating in the same direction, though.

if you want to do things like mixing two thrusters for differential drive, then you want a computer radio to do the mixing. there may be add on adapters to do this, but I haven't seen them. an arduino could do it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a rc radio system...

newer computer radios can do all sorts of interesting things with the mixers.
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

Tx Der,

Luckily I have the same model as fiveover, 6102 which allows mixing. Will play a bit with it I guess. I still don’t get how you tell one esc to go forward and one reverse with one stick movement when you want to turn.

I am just trying to find alternative control methods while the main is waiting to be tested (winter over here) and everything seems to be pointing on Arduino anyway, as much as I am trying to run from it...lol
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

ok, so you have a computer radio. here is the manual:

http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Files/ ... manual.pdf

I've never used a jr radio, but they are all pretty similar. the mixers are called programmable mix 1 - 6. see page 38. the master is the main channel, the slave is the result of the math. for two throttles, the master would be throttle and the slave would be some other channel (5 or more just to be safe). you can ignore the offset and just set the percentage. if you set the slave % to 100%, then you get a 1:1 copy of throttle stick to extra channel. -100% would move it in the opposite direction.

you probably don't want to enable the mixing with a switch because you always want to do this. set it to always on.

hook up a couple of servos and play with it to get a feel for how mixes work.

I've never done a differential drive mix, but I'm sure google could help you with that.
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

now that I think about it, the built in elevon mixer should accomplish the differential drive mixing.
marius407

Post by marius407 »

Hello. Are in to a similar project.
Have boutht this kit : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... de_2_.html

Running 220v down tether.
This is being converted by 220v to 12v 30amp power supply.
Using one ESC for the two vertical thrusters.
For horisontal thrusters i use Sabertooth dual 25A motor driver.
For housing i use an Ikelite housing for SONY FX7
Connectors are one 10pin subcon for tether. And one 6 pin subcon out for the thrusters.
Onboard camera and lighte
Would this work you think, or would i need to by an other model ?

Will post pics when i get the time :)
leeinmt

Post by leeinmt »

I use 3 JR radios mounted on a board. # 1 to control the thrusters, dive planes and buoyancy chamber. #2 to control the caterpillar tractor drive motors when on the lakebed (or seabed). #3 to operate the six axis robotic grab arm if I see something I want to pick up.

JR radios and receivers are cheap and easy to find because all RC operators have gone to the 2.4 GHZ systems that don't interfere with each other. Mine sends useable signals over 400 feet (120 meters) of telephone wire. The twin camera feeds use a separate cable. I like using them because they are simple and intuitive, like flying my drone.