Pulling Cat5e inside hollow braided floating yellow rope

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
rsoko

Pulling Cat5e inside hollow braided floating yellow rope

Post by rsoko »

I am trying to pull 100 yards of cat5e (only rated to 25lb of pulling strength, which I need more if I hit current) inside of 3/8" hollow braid floating yellow rope and it is like a gigantic "Chinese finger trap" I used to have as a kid... each time I feed the cat5e through the hollow rope a few inches the rope binds up and I have to stretch the rope to keep inching along (I am just inching the cat5e down the hollow rope by bunching up in front of the cat5e and then releasing the tension behind it slowly inching it up the hollow braided rope). Then I would take a leather glove and remove all of the bunching down the hollow rope, but that built up a lot of heat the further I got down the rope from all of the friction. I am about 60 feet down the rope (3 hours later), but my hands are pretty raw and not sure if I can finish this up.

I started out with string and a crochet needle, but was not sure if I could actually pull the cat5e through the hollow rope, so I gave up on that idea. There has got to be an easier way. Any Ideas or should I bite the bullet and buy thicker rope (1/2" or more)???
Ian MacKenzie

Re: Pulling Cat5e inside hollow braided floating yellow rope

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Maybe a lubricant might help. Liquid soap. Easy to rinse off and you'd have the cleanest tehter in the world.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

Ian MacKenzie wrote:Maybe a lubricant might help. Liquid soap. Easy to rinse off and you'd have the cleanest tehter in the world.
Thanks for the idea! Can't believe I didn't think of soap to reduce friction. It has made it much easier, but still tough to pull through the long length. My tether has never smelled so good.
kenl

Post by kenl »

I used a ten foot long piece of 1/4 inch rod instead of a crochet needle, it still took a long time and room to do the job.