Homebuilt Rov Forum

Exploring the Hobby of Building your own ROV - Imagine, Create, Inspire.
It is currently Dec 12th, 2017, 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sep 30th, 2016, 9:44 pm 

Hi guys this is my first post and i would like to say what a great site, i found it while doing a Google search and its great to read your posts i am sure i will learn alot from you guys!. As a complete newbie to this field i have an idea about building an rov based around the fishing video cameras linked via a 200 ft tether to a 9'' screen as seen on eBay for around $160 Aus and from there build a frame with r/c motors for control but my main question is i read some where that i can use my 9 channel turnigy controller to control the rov via receiver /speed controller and servos is this possible and to what depth and distance would i have control under water ? .This is all new to me so any advice is welcomed cheers Andy

PostPosted: Oct 1st, 2016, 9:52 am 

@trinescape,
Welcome to the Forum.
2.4GHz signals do not penetrate water very well, especially salt water, so unless you have the R/C receiver antenna on the surface you will not get much in the way of depth before losing the signal.
I had a submarine that used a 72MHz FM R/C controller and I was able to dive to about 5 feet before I lost control of the submarine. The R/C Receiver antenna was in a waterproof tube that extended about 18 inches above the submarine's WTC.
Regards,
SSN626B/TCIII

PostPosted: Oct 1st, 2016, 4:05 pm 

Hi trinescape - see here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1288

PostPosted: Oct 1st, 2016, 8:05 pm 

I use an older 72 mgz JR rc transmitter that has a training jack on the back that will control all channels via 2 wires directly to the receiver. I have tested it successfully on a 400 feet telephone cable, but not under water because I am still building the ROV.
I am also experimenting with model railroad 'DSC' which allows many functions via 2 wires. This will allow fine control of my robot arm gripper (also being built).
BYW, great site - I have really learned much from many people.

PostPosted: Oct 3rd, 2016, 7:59 pm 

Thanks guys for all your replies much food for thought !! cheers Andy