control system help , arduino, xbox controller, motor relays

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
schaefer72

control system help , arduino, xbox controller, motor relays

Post by schaefer72 »

Hi new to forum. been looking thru threads for days but still need some help. building first rov.
can i get some help with with controls. its way out of my league for first rov but what the heck
using xbox controller to arduino uno mega - not sure of schematics for this also do i use the 2 channel arduino relay or the motor drive shield arduino to power and control bilge pumps ?

plan on using arduino with xbox controller to control rov
any and all help appreciated
here are some of the misc parts i have so far
3 rule 25d bilge pumps
1 robot arm claw with pinch and rotate for arduino
1 sainsmart L293d motor drive shield for arduino
1 sainsmart 2 channel relay module for arduino
1 arduino uno mega 2560 r3
1 waterproof temp. sensor ds18b20 for arduino
1 kootec gy521 gyro & accelerometer for arduino
1 sainamart usb host shield for arduino
1 wired xbox controller

thanks alot
Mr Alias

Re: control system help , arduino, xbox controller, motor re

Post by Mr Alias »

Hello,

I use arduinos a lot in work so hopefully I can be of some help...

As for motor control, it depends on the type of control you want:
Use relays for on/off control (digital), I suspect using the motor control shield will give you more control as I assume it uses PWM to control the power to each motor, which will give you a more analogue type control feel. (up to you).
I have not looked at the specs for each method, but make sure the shields are man enough to handle the current to your bilge pumps.
(might be a few amps).

I am assuming the Xbox controller is USB? in which case it maybe possible to use the UART (USB) serial port (<serial.h>) on the arduino to directly comunicate with the controller via the USB slot (may not even need the USB shield). I'm sure if it was possible someone has probably documented it on instructables or the arduino forums so have a look around.

Have a play around and see what is possible on dry land (download the arduino software and start seeing what you can code it to do). (Be careful when stacking one shield ontop of another as they may interfere with each other).

I am assuming a lot about your project and it might be easier to help if you help me understand your vision, I understand it can be an intimidating task at first. Perhaps post a diagram of what you are looking for - The more detail the better. :)

Hope this is a step in the right direction anyway, good luck.
schaefer72

Re: control system help , arduino, xbox controller, motor re

Post by schaefer72 »

thank u for the reply
i am hoping to get some time this week to start hooking a few parts together and see what happens