New setup controlsystem

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
tvc

New setup controlsystem

Post by tvc »

Hi guys
im new on this forum and from denmark.
Im in the process of building my own homebuild rov and really happy i found this site, as im hoping to get some much needed help on the electronic and control system on the rov.
Ive decided to use the arduino mega on the rov bacause i have a lot of plans for what i want the rov to do, and i find the arduino perfect because of all the extension one can buy for it and at a fair price.
Im pretty good at computers and think the progamming is gonna be the least of my problems.
The setup of the wirering and motors and wich boards to to use and where IS gonna be a problem. i have never worked with something like this before but ive done a lot of reasearch on youtube, arduino,cc and here on the site but im certern my setup has some flaws.
the picture below shows how im thinking the setup should be but ive read something about relays and something about having a aduino board on the surface.
And what would be the best solution for batteries, onboard of on the surface.

How would you guys advice me to do the setup of the system ? Im looking for a reliable system and im not shy to spend a little cash on it as the rov is going to be used as a buisness.
Attachments
rov.jpg
rov.jpg (147.7 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
rossrov

Re: New setup controlsystem

Post by rossrov »

Hi tvc. You can write your control and monitoring as a webpage and serve it from the Arduino via an Ethernet shield. From what you describe you do not need the USB host. There are Javascript add-ons that allow you to use a game controller joystick in the webpage. I did similar but just used a standard mouse. You could also write your control and monitoring code in Processing, which would be easier and really a better way to do it, but you probably still need the browser or some other program to display the IP camera video.
As to the motors, if you are using brushed motors then brushed ESC would be easier to set up and of course much finer control than relays, but more expensive than relays.

Ross