RC Controller for Hard Wired ROV

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
rehoward

RC Controller for Hard Wired ROV

Post by rehoward »

Hi,
I am new here so hope this isn't flogging a dead horse. I am designing an underwater ROV based upon an Arduino board for logic. I plan to first build a drop camera to sort things out and it will have camera pan and rotation as well as led lighting. All significant power will be on-board by Lipo batteries so I only need signals to the surface via the tether cable. Cable length for now will be 200 feet.

I was hoping to use two twisted pair for signals. One for camera image, and the other for camera gimbal and lights. I think an rc airplane controller might work for this if it has a DSC out jack?

So not being an RC guy I need some guidance on this. One control that seems to be cheap used on eBay is the JR XP6102 Transmitter. It has 6 channels which is overkill for the drop light but probably will need a couple more for the eventual ROV build. Anyway, it seems to have a DSC port but I am not sure what sort of receiver I need to buy to get the signals to the Arduino board. Or maybe there is a better choice in an RC control?

I definitely need some help here. Thanks.

Randy
kenl

Re: RC Controller for Hard Wired ROV

Post by kenl »

I think the DSC output is PPM? But check first.

There are a couple of PPM libraries for Arduino that will directly decode the signal so that you can use the servo library to control your machine from there.

If you wish to have a wireless set up, then I would suggest buy a RC receiver that has PPM output, that (of course) also works with your RC transmitter.

I will eventually be putting my receiver and a battery inside my cable reel so as remove the need for a slip ring and messy wiring when out on the boat. Also inside the reel hub will be a wireless video transmitter and mini DVR, I have all the required materials. Just need the time to get back to it :D