Arduino and Fiber Optic Communication?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
rehoward

Arduino and Fiber Optic Communication?

Post by rehoward »

Has anyone heard of controlling an Arduino board using fiber optic cable instead of Cat cable? Someone must have done this, right?

Randy
Hipshot131

Re: Arduino and Fiber Optic Communication?

Post by Hipshot131 »

My question too! fiber would be fantastic for an umbilical I know that it can be done but how much it would cost and how complicated is the question. The ROV project is working on one for their controller board. I know will require a converter at both ends to translate and I have no idea how costly that would be.

I'll be watching and hope one of our resident geniuses has the knowledge.
rossrov

Re: Arduino and Fiber Optic Communication?

Post by rossrov »

"resident geniuses" dunno about that :lol:

In summary, there are 2 converters:

One type converts separate control and video data and sends that over the FO and converts back again at the other end. These are primarily used in CCTV applications, but ideal for ROVers. The cheaper sets, which are the ones we would most likely buy, often have confusing specs listed, due to Chinese/Western translation etc. Easy to buy the wrong items.

The other converter simply does Ethernet, which means your video and control/telemetry has to be in Internet Protocol format, such as an IP camera. This adds the complexity of IP addresses and the need for an Ethernet shield or similar on the ROV Arduino, plus an Ethernet switch (another black box) in the ROV. It also means that you will need a PC of some sort topside.

OP was regarding Arduino, but Raspberry Pi at the ROV end reduces the number of black boxes in the ROV by 1 or 3, however you are then in a completely different programming environment.

refer viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1340

FO cable entry to the ROV and strain relief are challenges.