My hull penetration idea.....

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Bindo

My hull penetration idea.....

Post by Bindo »

Had a bit of a brainwave,

totally Inspired by Rover's plan here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=759&p=3582&hilit=c ... hull#p3582

Due to the number of cables i'll need, plus room for expansion later, and the fact that i plan to use a compensated junction box (with choc blok/screw terminals, purely for servicability/changability) running cables through a potted penetrator wasn't really an option, plus sealing a connector can be tricky...

PLUS i don't really want to expose my comms and video connections to seawater <><

So! I plan to use an acetyl block, populated with as many connectors as i can which will then be potted, these will then all be fed through a hose to a junction box, everything after the bullet connectors will be pressure compensated.

I knocked together a wee 3d sketch to try to visualise the concept, i think it'll work!

it's not to scale or anything, just kinda threw it together, what do you guys think?

http://www.123dapp.com/123D_Design/Hull ... ns/4311169#
rossrov

Re: My hull penetration idea.....

Post by rossrov »

Hi Bindo. I think it will work great. What sort of oil or other fluid will you be using? I have a similar pressure-compensated arrangement (for now in the ROV archive) that was to use the "choc block" terminal strips, the idea being that no soldering was required. The bullet connectors are much more compact, and do not need a screwdriver that can be frustrating to use with all that oil about.
Bindo

Re: My hull penetration idea.....

Post by Bindo »

Hi Rossrov,

I'll only be using the bullets for the penetrations, the idea being the end cap will be left on, and any alteration/additions would be done in an easy to work on junction box near the rear of the vehicle.

I'm planning on using plain old cooking oil, it's got a very low water content, and is enough of an insulator for my needs :lol: