video helmet

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
rossrov

video helmet

Post by rossrov »

Prompted by my reply to a_shorething and perfo in an earlier thread, I went and assembled what I was describing. Looks a bit odd :? , but works very well :D . The screen appears the same size as does a 19" monitor viewed from about 1100mm away. The image is reversed due to the mirror but the monitor has a L-R flip function that compensates for this. Alternatively, if using an automotive reversing camera in the ROV then these cameras are often flipped as standard. The shade is made of cardboard from a cereal packet and painted black inside.
Replacing the composite monitor with a small tablet PC would open up more control possibilities. An internet search suggests that apps are available to do the L-R flip.
Attachments
helmet video display 2.jpg
helmet video display 2.jpg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
helmet video display 1.jpg
helmet video display 1.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
kenl

Re: video helmet

Post by kenl »

:D

That reminds me of my welding helmet attempt :D

I have bought a hobby king set of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _KIT_.html

They seem OK but I need to scan the screen to see info (osd) in the corners of the view, but definitely better than the cheapo ($100) video goggles I got on ebay.

Another mid range set is about to come on the market, there is a review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDKeXNZ55Q. but much more expensive than the one above.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

those Quanum DIY goggles are meant to be really good!

I prefer a screen to goggles, its very difficult to remove them to look at something else for a second.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Ken, I remember your mention of the welder's helmet and actually referred to your findings re the display in a couple of threads here. Ned Kelly has more to answer to I think....
Bindo: Agree with needing to be able to look away from the screen at other things. The bottom of the shade in my setup is open, so I can see outside quite well and walk around OK. Maybe cutting a hole in the bottom of those $39 goggles would achieve the same benefit? Add some extra light-shielding to the front of the hole if need be.