Adafruit 3D printed video goggles- for topside viewing

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
a_shorething

Adafruit 3D printed video goggles- for topside viewing

Post by a_shorething »

This is kind of a sister post to the one I made in the Arduino forum about eliminating the need for a laptop topside by using an Arduino USB host shield for control and using just a dedicated display system for viewing the video stream.

https://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printed-w ... s/overview

Adafruit (My favorite source for geek stuff and ideas) has come up with an open-source design for wearable 3D goggles.

The design is parametric (you can adjust to your head before printing), flexible and REALLY COOL.

With this (and an Arduino with USB host shield, linking your gamepad to your ROV via tether), you could leave your laptop on the shore and have a way to view your video stream glare free, and have your controls more or less protected from the elements. I think I might be doing this or a variation on it.

(one very interesting technique they use that I plan to pirate is the use of a 'hard' 3D printing material for the display faceframe and then switch to soft Ninjaflex printing material for the rest where the hood wraps around your face. This is something that major manufacturers have to grapple with all the time, but a person with a home 3D printer can just 'make').