The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual (Rev. 1)

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
sthone

The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual (Rev. 1)

Post by sthone »

cover.jpg
cover.jpg (97.74 KiB) Viewed 23739 times
The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual is an excerpt from a set of plans for a basic Rov that I have been working on (and off) for quite some time (years even) but I ran into some snags along the way and I have yet to finish them. I thought I would at least release the control system part of the plans so all of the hard work I’ve already done doesn’t go to waste. Most of the control system info in this manual is already on my website (http://www.homebuiltrovs.com) in the "how to" section, this manual is just a more detailed version of that same system.

The BRCS is a very simple control system that is meant for a basic observation class Rov with three brushed motor thrusters (typically bilge pump type) that allows for 3 degrees of freedom. (forward/back, left/right, dive/surface) This system only allows for basic on/off control of those three thrusters (no speed control) with the option of one add-on such as an additional thruster (for lateral movement), lights, or an open/close type manipulator. This system is geared toward people just starting out and is a relatively cheap and simple way to start.

This manual is 80 pages long and contains around 150 pictures & diagrams in PDF form and can be viewed/downloaded HERE. This is a 14.5 MB file so downloading may take a while, to save the file to your computer just right click the highlighted link and then click "Save Link As..." button.

I've done my best to display the information in this manual to be accurate and to be easy to understand for the beginner but if you see any errors or inaccuracies within please let me know so I can correct them.

Enjoy,

-Steve :sting:
Oldsirhippy

Re: The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual (Rev. 1)

Post by Oldsirhippy »

Thanks Steve for making this available - there is a lot of very useful information in there!
sthone

Post by sthone »

Thanks.... a lot of time went into it, I just hope someone finds them useful.

fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Hi Steve,

I am not planning on using this type of control but gonna read it anyway. It still can contain useful info for me :)

Regards,
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Hey Steve,

I am making my control setup exactly like your manual states. I want to use one of the Aux switches to power some 12V led lights. I would just need an on/off switch wired here correct? Also, if I wanted to add a gripper later, would I need another twisted pair of wires, since I would only have 1 Aux wire left after wiring the lights?

Thanks
sthone

Post by sthone »

Yes... you could just use a single relay wired to a simple on/off switch for lights. If you wanted to use this in conjunction with a gripper you would have to add one more pair of wires to the tether though to control that extra relay.

fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Hey Steve,

Would I be able to use this actuator with one of the relays in your manual? If so, how would I wire it up to use with a momentary rocker switch for Open/close?

http://store.firgelli.com/L12_S_Micro_L ... /l12-s.htm

Thanks!
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Well I followed your wiring schematic and made my control box..... and to my surprise, it worked!! (surprised that I didnt screw it up).

I also have a 3D printer and made your Kort nozzles

sthone

Post by sthone »

Cool glad someone finding that useful... the tricky part comes with the waterproofing with the wax, that can be a make or break moment if the relays are not sealed.

I'm not sure on those actuators, if it uses a brushed motor I don't see why it couldn't just be hooked to the relay as long as it's 12 volts.

What do you plan on using it for? (Not sure how you would waterproof something like that.)

Goodluckfox

Post by Goodluckfox »

Is there a problem with voltage drop or current being carried by the CAT5 with this set up? Is there a battery for the thrusters on the ROV itself, and the only thing going down the CAT5 is control inputs to the relays?