The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual (Rev. 1)

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
sthone

Re: The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual (Rev. 1)

Post by sthone »

The cat5 only handles the power for the relays coils so voltage drop shouldn't be a problem as the draw isn't that great. Main power for the thrusters is sent down the 16 gauge wire and you will get a certain voltage drop over this. You could always run batteries on the Rov itself and this would eliminate the 16 gauge wire in the tether altogether.

-Steve :sting:
Hipshot131

Post by Hipshot131 »

Is anyone following up on this? maybe using an arduino to allow speed control? I ready to build using the 3/4 thrusters 1200 gpm sump pumps. Any help or references you could pass my way would really help
man7sell

Post by man7sell »

I'm going to do this system and have ordered the replays (Although the ones in Steve's pics are now obsolete I did find sealed substitutes). Looking forward to my built. Off to the store for some PVC pipe.
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Have you looked at Steve's personal ROV web site. http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/
He did a retrofit of his original Seafox. The How To's and FAQ has a lot of good ideas. I used the Velleman kit on mine. It works great for simple on/off control.
man7sell

Post by man7sell »

I was wiring up the relays per Steve's wonderful tutorial, so my relays are close to ready to go. I want to put the power supply onboard with the relays (Using an old divers light, perfect for Li batteries and the relays). But now I find a problem. Steve's uses a battery shore side and now I'm lost on how to wire the controller. :oops:
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

If you go with the Velleman K8023 kit, you won't need power at your controller. The power input is on the receiver board, on the ROV. 12V. It sends the power up the tether to the control board, and the signal back down to the ROV. 10 channels over 2 wires. I use 2 kits. 8 channels for the thruster relays(4 thrusters), 8 for the arm relays, 1 for the lights and 1 for the lasers. 2 spare channels for future things i might add. I got mine for $34.00 Canadian, each. A couple of hours of soldering and you're good to go.
man7sell

Post by man7sell »

Ian MacKenzie wrote:If you go with the Velleman K8023 kit, you won't need power at your controller. The power input is on the receiver board, on the ROV. 12V. It sends the power up the tether to the control board, and the signal back down to the ROV. 10 channels over 2 wires. I use 2 kits. 8 channels for the thruster relays(4 thrusters), 8 for the arm relays, 1 for the lights and 1 for the lasers. 2 spare channels for future things i might add. I got mine for $34.00 Canadian, each. A couple of hours of soldering and you're good to go.
This looks like a good solution. Ordered one, have to look at wiring. I have my relays wired. As I'm only controlling 4 Thruster I think I only need 3 channels. Left, right,(forward aft) and vertical (Dive surface). All my cameras and lights are autonomous and the guidance video camera powered and controller at the surface.