Arduino at high pressure

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Jaman42

Arduino at high pressure

Post by Jaman42 »

I know I read something about it somewhere but my search skills failed me. As I understand there are some components on the Arduino that don't withstand pressure very well. I'm currently leaning towards a pressure compensating housing for my electronics. Can I replace some components to make it withstand high pressure?

I got the Arduino Mega, which components should I look into replacing?

Thanks for reading

*Edit:
I also started a thread in the arduino.cc forums: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=296395.0
Last edited by Jaman42 on Jan 30th, 2015, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
olegodo

Re: Arduino at high pressure

Post by olegodo »

I don't remember where I read it. reset button on the arduinos might activate under the pressure and reset the arduino.
Quick fix is to either just remove it completely or remove the rubber part of it. Not sure.
Then there are two condensators on it. but they seem to be of good quality. at least to my eyes. I have read many places that condensators fail under pressure, but I haven't found anything about at what pressure they fail. Could be 50psi.. could be 5000. I have no idea :roll:
I wouldn't worry too much about it though.
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

To summarize what's been said in the other forum:

The two electrolytic capacitors may have a problem with pressure, nobody knows for sure. Tantalum capacitors was suggested to be more solid, I also read something on wiki about solid electrolytes but don't know enough about that yet.

The crystal oscillator may have a problem with pressure, can be replace by a socket for easy removal since it's only used when using the USB.

The reset button is also mentioned, but as you already mentioned it can be easily removed and you can reset by shorting the reset pin to GND manually.

There is also concern about the IC having a void and may or may not be vulnerable to great depths.

It's a side track but I read a lot of different ideas concerning lipos under pressure. I know there are pressure compensated lipo packs but I don't know if the manufacturing of those somehow is different from the hobby ones. I'm thinking that I have to make a pressure compensated housing and see for myself, do some tests, both with lipos and arduino.
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

Why do you need pressure compensated housing? To compensate for external water pressure? A normal rigid housing would work if the ROV does not go too deep.
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Yeah the most interesting part with a pressure compensated housing is that you can go very deep without having to use heavy materials. The inside pressure is about the same as the outside pressure, you might want a slightly higher internal pressure so oil will leak out instead of water leaking in.