Fiber optic media converter video and duplex data?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Jaman42

Fiber optic media converter video and duplex data?

Post by Jaman42 »

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone have spotted any good priced fiber optic media converters with preferable two video channels and a duplex data channel of some kind.
perfo

Re: Fiber optic media converter video and duplex data?

Post by perfo »

IF you go for an Ethernet system then you'll have as many video and duplex control channels as you need (well almost) .
Ebay often has some even four port and fibre for less than £10
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Yes but there will always be a video delay because of compression on IP cameras, I know that in many cases it is very low at a couple of 100ms but the fact bugged me a bit still.

I bought another converter, you can read about my experiences with that here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1340&start=60
perfo

Post by perfo »

Yep there is a lag, I haven't found it a problem though.
It can be more of a problem if you rely on some sort of push mode where you get a Jpeg fired at you every so many ms.. rather than a H264 or Mjpeg stream.. In either case the delay is with the Ipcam not the data transmission method so maybe just use a different cam? If you convert to RS485 I assume you will still need to compress it ? As these things tend to move solely when anywhere near the target, the lag sorta disappears. What mean is on the surface you wave your hand in front of the cam and yep you can notice a lag but underwater you haven't got that reference so as long as it's quick enough to stop you bumping in to things then I'm not sure even 100ms will matter. Unless of course you are using a push mode and only getting an update every few ms then you may actually see judder in the picture which I agree is totally annoying..
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

I hear you, I might try it out one day to see if the delay when navigating bothers me. The RS485 is only for the data, the transceivers also have a video channel that sends uncompressed video.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Just my thought.

I recently saw a review of some FPV equipment on youtube. The reviewer tested the delay to be around 100ms. witch was a bit slower then what other equipment he had was able to achieve. He stated that this was noticeable, but after a little while you got use to it. The big difference from FPV and what we will be using our video feeds for is that they use it on planes and quads that move in excess of 60mph+- while we move way slower ant thus have much longer to react and so forth.
Ofc, I have not tested this in the real world yet. but I honestly don't think it will be an issue to have 100-200ms delays. I could be wrong though. ;)
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

I agree with you both, I don't think it affects the ability to navigate, for me it's more of an annoyance.
perfo

Post by perfo »

And I agree with you, if you get stagger due to frame refresh then it a big annoyance, A very slight delay probably only so on the surface. Anyway keep us informed of how you get on.. A non compressed AV stream is bound to be better if it can be done cheap and easy enough..