Comercial tethers

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
greenkarson

Comercial tethers

Post by greenkarson »

Has anyone ever got a actual price for a comercial tether? Or know of a site that will respond to a one off hobbyest? I realize that they are going to be expensive. But with the work(and money) I've got into my rov I don't think a homemade tether is going to do it justice. It's built to withstand pressure down to 450'
Thanks for any info you can share on the topic
sthone

Re: Comercial tethers

Post by sthone »

Check out http://www.outlandtech.com/ I've talked to them in the past but never bought anything. Their tethers can be found on this page http://www.outlandtech.com/cables.php if I remember correctly the prices were around 3-5 per foot.

-Steve :sting:
kenl

Post by kenl »

This a quote I got last year.

Hi Ken,

Thank you again for your enquiry, we are pleased to offer as follows:

Cable: 4 x 2 x 24AWG F/UTP CAT6 CW FWNB

Cable 4 x 2 x 24AWG F/UTP CAT6 with cross web, foil screen and stranded conductors
Foamed polyolefine sheath
Hydrolysis UV resistant PUR outer sheath

Nominal overall diameter 10.40mm
Weight: 83 g/m
Specific gravity: 1 +/- 0.04kg/dm3

Pairs suitable for RS 485 and Video

Price: GB£3.49/m x 500mtrs (M.O.Q.)

Manufacturing tolerance +/-10%
Manufacturing lead time: Approximately 4 working weeks from order/Proforma payment
Free UK delivery: 4 working days from end of production
Offer validity at current costs: 30 days

Any questions or feedback about this offer, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks
Kind regards
Andy Timms
Technical Sales
Elmeridge Cables Limited
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Bubbles wrote:
kenl wrote:This a quote I got last year.

Hi Ken,

Thank you again for your enquiry, we are pleased to offer as follows:

Cable: 4 x 2 x 24AWG F/UTP CAT6 CW FWNB

Cable 4 x 2 x 24AWG F/UTP CAT6 with cross web, foil screen and stranded conductors
Foamed polyolefine sheath
Hydrolysis UV resistant PUR outer sheath

Nominal overall diameter 10.40mm
Weight: 83 g/m
Specific gravity: 1 +/- 0.04kg/dm3

Pairs suitable for RS 485 and Video

Price: GB£3.49/m x 500mtrs (M.O.Q.)

Manufacturing tolerance +/-10%
Manufacturing lead time: Approximately 4 working weeks from order/Proforma payment
Free UK delivery: 4 working days from end of production
Offer validity at current costs: 30 days

Any questions or feedback about this offer, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks
Kind regards
Andy Timms
Technical Sales
Elmeridge Cables Limited

Did you finally order it?
kenl

Post by kenl »

No it was too much and I am still weighing up the tether I will use. As in fiber optics or copper, my current cat5 is not the best.
kendelrio

Post by kendelrio »

Are you running surface power/telemetry or is your sub powered subsea? Are you running straight DC or A/C->D/C converted?

Depending on your power/telemetry requirements, you may not need a commercial tether. If you are just looking for data, are you running straight RS232? Have you considered integrating a modem into the telemetry stream to decrease data loss?

For your power requirements; what kind of voltage are you sending down and what kind of drop are you looking at? Remember, with constant resistance, if you increase voltage, you reduce amperage. Less amperage=smaller conductors=smaller tether requirement.

(Power = IxIxR, and the power lost in the line is then just current and resistance. Reduce either and you reduce the power loss.)
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

kendelrio wrote:Are you running surface power/telemetry or is your sub powered subsea? Are you running straight DC or A/C->D/C converted?

Depending on your power/telemetry requirements, you may not need a commercial tether. If you are just looking for data, are you running straight RS232? Have you considered integrating a modem into the telemetry stream to decrease data loss?

For your power requirements; what kind of voltage are you sending down and what kind of drop are you looking at? Remember, with constant resistance, if you increase voltage, you reduce amperage. Less amperage=smaller conductors=smaller tether requirement.

(Power = IxIxR, and the power lost in the line is then just current and resistance. Reduce either and you reduce the power loss.)
Ayy suggestions for a cable for full-doublex RS 485 and video transmission and as neutral as possible? :D Power is onboard.
kendelrio

Post by kendelrio »

Bubbles wrote: Ayy suggestions for a cable for full-doublex RS 485 and video transmission and as neutral as possible? :D Power is onboard.

Not off the top of my head. I've seen some other threads regarding this.

We use multi-mode fibers for our telemetry stream with stepped surface power to 3 phase motors and stepped up/back down A/C for our electrics. (cameras, sonar, depth sensors etc).