10 m USB Extension cable with USB Hub

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
theinlinaung

10 m USB Extension cable with USB Hub

Post by theinlinaung »

I am planning to connect a webcam and Arduino to a USB Hub and connect the Hub to a 10 m USB Extension cable.
I can successfully connect the Arduino with both 10 m cable and USB Hub.
Webcam : Logitech c270h 720p HD webcam, Power rating : 5V 500 mA
When I connect my webcam to 10 m cable the webcam works but the video feed was laggish and quality is not satisfying.
The webcam did not work when connected via USB hub which was connected to 10 m cable.

When I connect a memory stick to the 10 m cable, the data transfer speed was good.
When I connect the memory stick to the Hub AND the 10 m cable, the data transfer speed was not good.

I don't know if it is power insufficiency or data speed or other causes which make my setup with 10 m cable and USB hub not work.
Please help :?
10 m USB Extension Cable.jpg
10 m USB Extension Cable.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
ROVER3D

Re: 10 m USB Extension cable with USB Hub

Post by ROVER3D »

USB only allows 2-3m Cable. For more you need an ACTIVE USB-Repeater. You cannot connect more than 2 repeater without seperate power supply. Passiv cable will cause transmission-errors.
theinlinaung

Post by theinlinaung »

ROVER3D wrote:USB only allows 2-3m Cable. For more you need an ACTIVE USB-Repeater. You cannot connect more than 2 repeater without seperate power supply. Passiv cable will cause transmission-errors.
So you are saying what I have is a passive repeater cable?
I bought it from a local tech store. I think it's from China and did not have any specifications (other than 10 meter). If I buy a better quality cable, would my setup with USB hub work? Is there other workaround so that I don't have to buy another extension cable?
piercet

Post by piercet »

You are going to need a USB to Cat5 or USB to Fiber adaptor. If you go USB over network cable, make sure you get a USB 2.0 speed unit at least. There are USB 1.0 speed units available that are just flat out not going to work with what you are trying to do.
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

I had to use a PAL video camera with Baluns at both ends. So far with 60m of cat 5 cable it works OK - there is a little noise but it seems acceptable.

If you find a USB 2 extender that works, would you post it as it would be very interesting to try it.