Velleman k8023 questions

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
himcgrew

Velleman k8023 questions

Post by himcgrew »

Hey guys, just a few questions on using the velleman k8023. I am planning on using only one which will be able to control all six motors only running in forward. I purchased 12 gauge wire a while ago that's fifty feet long. Will this wire work with the velleman for control and running the power to the motors? I'm really new to all this stuff and just need a little help as I do not want to screw up. If this wire would work for sending all the power down through the velleman from a 12v marine battery that would be great and efficient. Send something back with your thoughts!
rossrov

Re: Velleman k8023 questions

Post by rossrov »

Hi himcgrew.

Here is a copy-and-paste from something i posted previously with a motor current draw of 3 amps:

16 AWG has a resistance of approximately 0.013 ohms per meter (from a table off the internet)
50 metres of two-conductor cable has a total circuit length of 100 metres
Total resistance = 0.013 ohms X 100 =1.3 ohms
Voltage drop = current X resistance, or V=IR
=3 amps X 1.3 ohms
=3.9 volts
So if running off 12 volt battery on the boat, the motor will get 8.1 volts.

This gives you a pretty good idea, and you can substitute in your own cable resistance and motor current for more accurate figures.

Ross
himcgrew

Post by himcgrew »

Hey thanks for that, just another quick question to anyone out there. Do you know how to properly hookup a velleman k8023. I have completed the kit and soldered everything but when I connect the reciever to the main circuit board only one light goes on, on each circuit board. There's ten other lights that I cannot seem to turn on or get any response with the motors when I hook up a joystick to one of the main circuit pieces and a motor on the other reciever end. Please somebody help, relying on my project with this. Thanks, I just don't fully understand the wiring of the velleman yet.
sthone

Post by sthone »

I haven't played with a K8023 in a long time but I do know you CAN NOT hook the motors directly to the board as it can not handle that much current, you will need to use a relay setup. So basically the K8023 will control the relays and the relay will handle the higher current the motors require.

-Steve :sting: