ESC question

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Pwnsalad

ESC question

Post by Pwnsalad »

Hello everybody,

Im new to this forum and looking to start my first build.

I want to purchase this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 850kv.html motor.

I am having trouble understand exactly what an ESC is and why you need it.
That being said.. what ESC would you recommend, would you recommend I use a different motor?

I also know that I have to get an attachment (forgot the name of the adapter?) with a set screw so that I can attach a propeller to the motor.

I'm just looking for some general knowledge, I don't do well reading books because I grow bored or skip information so I look to the community for some guidance based on experience.
kenl

Re: ESC question

Post by kenl »

That motor looks fine to me, you need an ESC for the motor to turn at all, it being a brushless motor. I don't know why but that is the way it is..

Buy a car ESC as they have reverse something you will undoubtedly want, I like the hobbyking ones as IO find the turnigy ones hard to program, you will also want to buy the programming card that suits your selected esc. The card is not required but for a few dollars makes life a lot easier.

With your prop adapter pay special attention to the shaft size of the motor you have selected. I prefer the ones that use a grub screw that locks on to the shaft of the motor.
Pwnsalad

Post by Pwnsalad »

kenl wrote:That motor looks fine to me, you need an ESC for the motor to turn at all, it being a brushless motor. I don't know why but that is the way it is..

Buy a car ESC as they have reverse something you will undoubtedly want, I like the hobbyking ones as IO find the turnigy ones hard to program, you will also want to buy the programming card that suits your selected esc. The card is not required but for a few dollars makes life a lot easier.

With your prop adapter pay special attention to the shaft size of the motor you have selected. I prefer the ones that use a grub screw that locks on to the shaft of the motor.
Thanks man!

Do you have a specific ESC that you would recommend as I would like to use the "if it works don't fix it" philosophy until I become more knowledgeable on ROVs.

Also, how would I program the board (and again) what would you recommend?
kenl

Post by kenl »

This is the one I use 30amp ESC but it is out of stock at the international and Australian warehouses.

Being a 30amp esc you could be pushing it's limits with your motor, there is a similar one 45amp ESC that for a few bucks more would be a safer option. I have added cooling fans to my vertical thruster ESCs because they overheat on long descents. My tether is a bit floaty and requires dragging down after 12m depth.

The programming is best done with this card it controls things like throttle reponse, reverse enabled or not and several other factors, 10 in total I think? I don't really get them all, but it is important that all your ESCs have matching settings. The instructions on how to use the programmer are in chinglish, like everything from hobbyking but you'll work it out.
Pwnsalad

Post by Pwnsalad »

kenl wrote:This is the one I use 30amp ESC but it is out of stock at the international and Australian warehouses.

Being a 30amp esc you could be pushing it's limits with your motor, there is a similar one 45amp ESC that for a few bucks more would be a safer option. I have added cooling fans to my vertical thruster ESCs because they overheat on long descents. My tether is a bit floaty and requires dragging down after 12m depth.

The programming is best done with this card it controls things like throttle reponse, reverse enabled or not and several other factors, 10 in total I think? I don't really get them all, but it is important that all your ESCs have matching settings. The instructions on how to use the programmer are in chinglish, like everything from hobbyking but you'll work it out.
So I'm assuming that because the motor I'm looking at is for a plane that it doesn't have reverse?
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Whether or not you have reverse is a function of the ESC you use not the motor itself.
Brushless motors with their three wires need a control circuit to constantly switch the polarity on those wires to keep the motor spinning. That control circuit is generally known as an ESC or electronic speed control as it also controls the speed at which the motor spins.
If you are going to draw 30 amps continuously on one motor you are going to need either large onboard batteries, a large gauge tether if you run topside power, or a higher voltage topside power (like 48v) stepped down to your working voltage (generally 12v) onboard the rov.

I try to keep my individual thruster draw to no more than 10amps continuous for the most part. It may go higher on the vertical thruster if I am retrieving something heavy. That way I can use the 30amp ESC, and can keep my power consumption down.