Cheap RC control tested OK :)

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Kale

Re: Cheap RC control tested OK :)

Post by Kale »

I have ordered the boards from njs552. Meanwile I have tried his code with the two UNO3's I got. I didn't know that I have to program the ESC's :oops: !!! How do I do that? The ESC's are "MYSTERY Pentium 30A Speed Controller ESC"

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1130
kenl

Post by kenl »

Hi Kale, The good news is that Nicks code is solid and that is the base of my code, I've sort of tacked bits on here and there. And his boards will not disappoint you.

The bad news is that your ESC's don't appear to have a reverse function, so programing them to do so would not help. There are several programmable functions on the ESC's that I use ( This is the link to the Australian Warehouse ) But reverse is a must have, when you think about it helicopters and planes don't have much of a use for reverse motor direction, so it is generally the car ESC's that you need.
If you go with the hobbyking stuff or even the turnigy ESC's I would recommend buying the programming card for the ESC that you are buying, they are cheap and make it so much easier.

I hope that helps?
Kale

Post by Kale »

Thanks Ken,
(Marius: Sorry for going off topic)

The reason I bought these ESC's was that they were supposed to go in reverse (info on ebay). The seller was not able to tell how, he suggested that I should switch the cables :? :shock:

I have considered to buy the same ESC's that Nick use. Do you think I have to use the same motors as well?
kenl

Post by kenl »

Changing any two of three motor cables will reverse the direction but that won't help you as they will only run in that direction, and not forwards and reverse.

If it's not too late you could ask for your money back, you have nothing to lose. Just last week I had a gyro (10 DOF IMU) delivered that I ordered in November, I already had bought a replacement and got my money back from the original supplier. I feel a little bad about it, but I'm not going to buy it twice if I can help it?

I don't think your motor selection is as critical, I think all motors will do as the ESC tells them, what ever the ESC is. There are some motors with sensors that the ESC's read but I think they are quite expensive and you would know if you had bought them.

I have no experience with those expensive motors, I've spent enough already!!

And be warned, Hobbyking site is dangerous to you wallet!! I've already ordered a plane, just because it looked so fun :D :D
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Kale wrote:
kenl wrote:It has a trainer port on the back if that's what you're asking, it is different in that it has 9 (really only 8) channels.
Ok, thanks. I'm testing out different solutions to control my ROV. I have tried to use the PS2>UNO3>serial>UNO3>ESC>Brushless system with no success. I can't get the motors go in reverse. Does the RC-control>rmilec>ESC>Brushless system work right "out of the box"?

I dont know what you consider working "right out of the box", but you can buy the 30amp rc car brushless esc and program it with a program card.
I have used the rc transmitter to rmilec converter to esc system on two rovs so far and it is my preferred method for its ease of setup and low cost.
Kale

Post by Kale »

kenl wrote:And be warned, Hobbyking site is dangerous to you wallet!! I've already ordered a plane, just because it looked so fun :D :D
I know what you mean. I can see a lot of stuff that I want there. ;) Do I need it? No...
scubersteve wrote:I dont know what you consider working "right out of the box", but you can buy the 30amp rc car brushless esc and program it with a program card.
I have used the rc transmitter to rmilec converter to esc system on two rovs so far and it is my preferred method for its ease of setup and low cost.
The rc transmitter to rmilec converter seems to be the "easy" way to do it. The Turnigy 9x is not that expensive either...
sk8man101

Post by sk8man101 »

Hello, jumping in here. Did you ever test out how far the PPM can go? Im going to be running a similar set up. Looking at running a Turnigy 9XR running er9x firmware with a FrSky tx and rx. Looking at running the ppm out of the rx and through a 100' cat5 to the ppm decoder and out to 3 escs, a switch for LEDs and a couple of servos for the pan tilt of the camera. Eagerly awaiting my cheapo cat5 to get here from ebay to test it out. I ordered 200' for $15 bucks! Im going to try the 200' first and see how it goes.

Thanks
Dallas