Connectors to disconnect tether from ROV

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
rovdude

Connectors to disconnect tether from ROV

Post by rovdude »

I need some hefty connectors that can handle 12V at 15A, preferably threaded like the ones you can find on the back of a TV for cable. Has anyone used anything like this? Or are my power requirements way too high to use connectors?
Billrose

Re: Connectors to disconnect tether from ROV

Post by Billrose »

Hello there,

Just to clarify...

Are these connections underwater at the Rov umbilical / termination... Or above water, or somewhere else..?

If its under water then what depth (Roughly feet, metres, miles...!) Are you going?

Regards

The power amp at 15 sounds about average
kenl

Post by kenl »

I have been using these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170980594539 ... 1439.l2649 on my ROV but so far have not been down deeper than 50', they have worked fine.

There are other ones that have a Blue collar on them that I have bought that are not as good http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-pair-Water ... c79&_uhb=1 I would not buy them again.

If you search for IP68 connectors you will see who supplies what, the ones I have bought so far are the 12mm ones but there are also 21mm models that offer higher amperage. I'll be going with a few of them next, there are also better deals on aliexpress for these connectors than ebay, if you're happy to go that way, I am :) .

And............. I know, I know.... IP68 is not subsea, but there are guys out there using open connectors and running motors in salt water, it works and it's cheap...
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

In the same ligth I just orderd one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcsX-RJ45-Pane ... 2eca266133

Gonna give it a try, have more than enough UTP cable around here to see if it migth work in water.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Are these connections underwater at the Rov umbilical / termination... Or above water, or somewhere else..?

If its under water then what depth (Roughly feet, metres, miles...!) Are you going?
Yes, these connections are underwater, basically a few inches to a foot down the line from the motors. The depth I will be reaching is (hopefully!) 100 feet.
In the same ligth I just orderd one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcsX-RJ45-Pane ... 2eca266133

Gonna give it a try, have more than enough UTP cable around here to see if it migth work in water.
That could work well for low power requirements. I'm pretty sure I am way above UTP specs, each wire to my motors is 12AWG. But when I do finally get to motor efficiency and successfully lower my draw, looks good!
I have been using these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170980594539 ... 1439.l2649 on my ROV but so far have not been down deeper than 50', they have worked fine.
I like these! Wish I knew about these. These seem much better than what I was thinking of! I am however slightly confused on the connector. It appears to be 3 parts? An input on the left and right sides and the third middle piece is the screw on connector between the two?
Last edited by rovdude on Mar 14th, 2014, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenl

Post by kenl »

They are in in two halves and each half has several components.

After soldering all my wires in I still potted the rear portion of the connector just to keep all water out of there. If you do that make sure you tape off the rest of the entire connector in case there is any spillage of your resin.

I mounted half of mine directly into my rear bulkhead ( a m12 x 1.0 tap is required, they are rare). I also potted this on the inside, again just for good measure.

This photo shows them in various states of fitting, I didn't align the tap very well when tapping the holes. :oops:
pp4.jpg
pp4.jpg (505.07 KiB) Viewed 4554 times

This WEB SITE sells a slightly larger (M14) version and also as a panel mount fitting, I think I will buy these next time. There are also 22mm versions available.

I use
4x 3pin (one for each motor)
1x 2pin for the leds, i will use 3 pins next time just to standardise
and 1x 6pin with the blue collar for my tether.

The reason I use so many is so that if I need to replace a motor it's easy this way.

The main difference between the blue collar and black collar ones is the way the conductors are mounted. On the black ones the conductors are potted on the blue ones they are loose and would allow water through, and even epoxy , if using the slow setting variety.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Those connectors looks nice.

Do you have any thoughts on what depth they can withstand?
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Wow impressive ROV!! :shock:
And thanks a lot these should be perfect for mine!
kenl

Post by kenl »

@ olegodo: sorry I don't know, I think IP68 officially is only to 3m submersion?

@Rovdude, thanks for the compliment, it's a labour of love.

back to olegodo's question
As I said before there are guys running open contacts without problems, although I do have some doubts about this in salt water .

I have a connector that hangs out the back, and is dead when the ROV is active, this is controlled by a relay and a reed switch, when I apply a magnet, and the ROV is asleep and the charge point is awake, any salt water still in the charge connector reacts and will fill the connector with green oxidation in less than 15 minutes. I try to remember to rinse it with fresh water immediately but I don't always get to that :?

To counter this I use di-electric grease in the important connectors and hope that will prevent any water contact, if it does get in.

I will aso try to come up with a better charge connector.

Baby steps............... :)