Price of real ROV tether?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
kenl

Price of real ROV tether?

Post by kenl »

Has anyone ever got a quote for a real neutrally bouyant ROV inspection class tether?

I have sent an email off trying to get a price from http://www.elmeridge.com/ The answer I got back so far is with regards to my requirements then they will make it, sounds scary already.
Thank you for your enquiry, manufacturing a neutrally buoyant cable is not a problem but please could you confirm the following:

Size of the conductors or power rating required.
Individually screened pairs (x2) or overall screen.
Standard coax or mini coax, 50 or 75Ohm.
Do you require a strength member (Aramid ) and if so what would be the maximum pulling load.
Cable to be Neutrally buoyant in Fresh or Salt water.
Preferred overall diameter.

Please note that the M.O.Q. for this type of cable would be 500mtrs.
jonnyhas

Re: Price of real ROV tether?

Post by jonnyhas »

Ken,

I looked into this it may be better to look at something that is already produced, see link below

http://www.outlandtech.com/cables.php

I tracked down a local supplier in Aberdeen and they were looking for about £300 for 50m of the C-3400, I havent gone down that route yet.

If you are keen, try and get in touch with a company that rents out Outland 1000 rov's near you, never know what off cut they may have lying around.

there will always be a minimum of about 500m for a one off cable i tried Cortland and their MOQ was 1000m :lol:

cheers
Jonny
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

kenl

Post by kenl »

300 Quid for 50m is pretty pricey, that was what I was worried about.

My temporary tether is 26m and that was a bit short when using it in 6m and very short when in 14m. My normal max depth would be 30m and I would think that 100m would be required as a minimum?

I have since asked the question on alibaba to get a comparison. I'll report back if I get any answers.
kenl

Post by kenl »

I'd better buy a lottery ticket then fireslayer :D
kenl

Post by kenl »

Well the very nice people at Elmridge replied last night, the tether is expensive but not as bad as I had thought it might be. going on the price jonnyhas was quoted. I won't be buying one just yet, but if you decided to get serious about a ROV I guess it would be well worth getting, if you could share the cost with 1 or 2 other people, 150m would do me.
Thank you again for your enquiry, we are pleased to offer as follows:

Cable: 4 x 2 x 24AWG F/UTP CAT6 CW FWNB

Cable 4 x 2 x 24AWG F/UTP CAT6 with cross web, foil screen and stranded conductors
Foamed polyolefine sheath
Hydrolysis UV resistant PUR outer sheath

Nominal overall diameter 10.40mm
Weight: 83 g/m
Specific gravity: 1 +/- 0.04kg/dm3

Pairs suitable for RS 485 and Video

Price: GB£3.49/m x 500mtrs (M.O.Q.)

Manufacturing tolerance +/-10%
Manufacturing lead time: Approximately 4 working weeks from order/Proforma payment
Free UK delivery: 4 working days from end of production
Offer validity at current costs: 30 days
Citrushund

Post by Citrushund »

Hi. I work full time as a ROV Pilot in the Offshore sector. VideoRay and SubAtlantic Commanche mainly.
My company know I'm building my own ROV so they gave me 2x 60m VideoRay umbilicals 11mm 8 pole and several Subconn/McArtney connection plugs, oil bearings and so on.

So well I have an extra tether I won't be using I think, I won't sell it for cash but a trade for something else maybe.
My own ROV is a long going project cos I want everything to be well manufactured. But soon I will post pictures of the beast :)

Martin
CT-Offshore