Help on a tether/control system

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Danny

Help on a tether/control system

Post by Danny »

hi, first post here. For my first ROV, I will be using a 6-thruster design-one larger one for f/r, a second larger one for vertical movement, and one on two smaller ones on each side for lateral movement/turns. what would be the best way to wire these together? and what is the best way to put it together in a control box? This is a fairly large ROV, 3' by 2' by 2', made of 1.5" pvc, foam, and fiberglass (to cover foam float pad) The reason it needs to be large is because it will be used as a platform to mount a manipulator as well as several accessory mounts. what is the best thruster to use? I'm sorry I can't really specify on the design, But I will try to post some pics once most of the frame assembly is together and ready to wire and add thrusters. thanks for any help you can give me
lwhistler

Re: Help on a tether/control system

Post by lwhistler »

I used a common ground for all devices and a Cat5e cable for the positive. I think the ground was 22 gauge speaker wire - both conductors. All underwater connections were encased in candle wax.

Leonard Whistler
http://www.HobbySubmarines.com/
Danny

Post by Danny »

So could I wire the two lateral thrusters on each side together, so when I move one switch it would turn both on? but then how would I turn? I'm confused with how that should work, but in your opinion, what would be the best thruster bilge pump/motor to use on an ROV like this?and from looking at your design for a controller on your site, I think I might be able to rig something like that together with a joystick vs. switches, but I still don't know what to do about the lateral thruster issue.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Danny I just sent you an email too but I'll reply here too....
THRUSTERPLACEMENT.JPG
THRUSTERPLACEMENT.JPG (16.01 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
I think you would be better off with a thruster configuration like shown above. (top of picture would be the front of the Rov) This way the duel thrusters in the rear are used for forward/reverse as well as left and right movement, (and it will give you twice the power) the vertical thrusters is for up/down, and the other thruster can be use for just lateral movement. (The Vertical and Lateral thrusters should be on the center line of the Rov and they may have to be stacked to fit or look at the placement I used on my Seafox Retrofit Rov.

If you use a standard configuration setup like shown you can you my relay and arcade joystick setup for control, seen here http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtorelaywiringdpdt.html you would just have to add another switch/relay for the lateral thruster.

-Steve
ngkb

Post by ngkb »

Hi, i'm not sure if you're still looking at this, but i will just give it a try.

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtorelaywiringdpdt.html

Does this only work for brushed DC motors? Because brushless motors requires an ESC to give the PWM to it, thus i was wondering if this relay circuit only works for brushed motors, eg Bilge pumps.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Brushed only. Brushless requires a brushless ESC