ROV-Control V3

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
ROVER3D

Re: ROV-Control V3

Post by ROVER3D »

Hey, you're right because of writing error in homepath...

It had been fixed...
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

I receive my board today and my first impression is that it looks great.I am looking forward to test it !!
Citrushund

Post by Citrushund »

Planning on making it more "mobile" friendly fx a Raspberry Pi instead of a windows based laptop?
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Hey, i dont understand what you mean with "more mobile". For Rasberry you will need a seperate monitor and power, also gamepad/joystick and you wont sitting in the dirt so you need something to sit and work on. What you think is more mobile?
Citrushund

Post by Citrushund »

I'm sorry for not explaining my self better. I work full time as a ROV Pilot, all from big trenchers to small videorays. VideoRay incl a dell laptop in the control case but in my opinion that made the weight so much heavier. So my own control is a pelican case. Built in 17" screen in the lid, small trafo and the control system.
So I was wondering about if you would make the system for raspberry pi, instead of a big power consuming heavy laptop :)
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Youre right of full equipment.
But before i build this solution i've thought about the best way to get it working for "normal" users. Most of them will have a laptop and know to use it. So they will have a power/display/usb/video/gamecontroller/and operating system still working and this is because i prefered this way.

If u are using ROV professional you have to get video on separate screen, using only gamecontroller for control and then you have problems like powering it up (110/230VAC), getting status and informations on second display and this is (so i understand your question) you are thinking of using a small FX-Control only.

So you see there is a solution for users still having a laptop and your solution.

But i will tell you how i use my ROV-Control solution:
I have my own "control trailer" with two 22" tft screens for videostreams over video-to-vga converter (not using usb-grabber) and a laptop running ROV-Control V3 displaying status-informations (like in overlayskin) on two 8" touchscreen-tfts.
(ok.. there are five 22" tft because there are two-control centers for two rov-pilots in the trailer. I dont want to be alone ;-) )
But this is not the way normal users will pay for...

Whats coming up? In ROV-Control V3 you can use touchscreens (for displaying data) on separate monitors with skins (still testing on my ones) and you are able to control all functions like switches or else using Saitek X52Pro(or else). We are working on GPS-solution for conecting with google maps and upload-function for youtube. So it will be a great challenge to get all these things working on a "little" Rasberry with less power-consumption.

I hope you understand how iam thinking about the full solution (still coming up in pieces) and why i planned using laptops.

Else someone asked me why iam not using webcam and beaglebone like OpenROV?
As you see my solution and how professionals working with ROV i think OpenROV is a dead end solution because of using more than one cam and possibility of record high-quality.
With the Gopro-interface you will get an easy way to record in high-quality and control up to four gopros (switching it to two videostreams). This is the way it goes...

Iam sorry but of the size of ROV-Control project is not easy to explain. I hope you get a little thoughtfully surveying..
Citrushund

Post by Citrushund »

I understand all the way. I know most people have a laptop laying around and don't want to use time on complex systems running Linux. But I had to ask.

Do you do rov work with your setup or just for fun?

I will send you a pm with my situation.

Martin
CT-Offshore
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

@Bubbles
How is your testing of the V3 control board progressing?
Did it / does it match your expectations?
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Oldsirhippy wrote:@Bubbles
How is your testing of the V3 control board progressing?
Did it / does it match your expectations?
It's a really nice board.You can configure all settings for thruster lights and sensors very easy.There were a few bugs that Andreas fix them.I haven't finish my rov yet ,all pieces are laying around but the board works nice.
I control the board with a logitech f710 .I had some issues with the axes since the board is designed for a HOTAS joystic but I solve that problem.If you want you use three-four thrusters for three axes movement a simple gamepad can do the job.For multiple thrusters and axes a Hotas joystick is one way road.
TwoBeaner

Post by TwoBeaner »

This looks pretty nice, is it available to buy? I tried going to some of the web links but they don't really have much there.