Question about the Vellman K8023

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
KBG

Question about the Vellman K8023

Post by KBG »

I am thinking about using the Vellman K8023 10 Channel 2 Wire Remote Control Kit that is under the control options but I was wondering can I run my Rov straight off of it or do I need something like an arduino or something wired to the vellman
sthone

Re: Question about the Vellman K8023

Post by sthone »

Basically the K8023 can be used as a standalone controller and it can be operated with basic switches. It is only has basic on/off control so there will be no speed control. It also only has has 10 functions so this means that if you had 3 thrusters you would be using 6 of those 10 to control just the thrusters. This is because you would need two relays per thruster to control forward and reverse of each thruster.

On another Note... You can not just plug the thrusters into the K8023 because it can not handle that much current. The receiver board would have to be used on the Rov in conjunction with a relay setup to control the functions (Thrusters, lights, etc.) So basically you would be controlling the Relays with the K8023 and the relays would then handle the higher current of the Thrusters, etc.

Again this only would allow for basic on/off control. So the only advantage of using the K8023 is it would allow for a very basic control setup with a thin tether because as far as the control aspect is concerned there would only be two wires in the tether. (you would still need a power source for the thrusters though) so either a thicker main power wire through the tether or on board batteries.

-Steve :sting:
KBG

Post by KBG »

Ok thanks I was just wondering I am kinda new at this lol and yeah I plan on using 16 awg wire for power to thrusters and I am not asking much from my first Rov I am not really worried about speed control
hazzyb

Post by hazzyb »

that's the basic set up I am working on just now, have found I need to power the receiver from the main power supply and use resistors to stop the relays pulling to much power and burning out the chips on the board though for some reason my brother didn't need to go down this root, only difference is I'm trying to program an arduno so I can use a ps2 controller to control it all, witch I'm not have much luck with just now.

Ben