laptop control

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
njs552

Re: laptop control

Post by njs552 »

I emailed him and he said by September. He also said the binary files he is working with are already in his GitHub, so if you download QT creator you could compile the latest "Beta" copy of the software yourself. Or he will release and .exe in a few weeks.

I believe it will work with any IP camera as well, but I will check with him.

Thanks,
njs552
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Would it be possible to have the Arduino on the surface and use the wires from a cat5 cable to go down to the rov as signal wires?
njs552

Post by njs552 »

Possible, maybe. Good idea, definitely not. It has been done, but I would not recommend it.

Cat5e is unshielded, and even though it is twisted to eliminate interference, the twist ratio is optimized for ethernet communication.

What is your main reason for not putting a Arduino in the ROV? Space or cost? I am using a Arduino Pro Mini in my ROV because they cost $4, and are 1x1.5" I do not get ethernet communication, but I am using rs-485 to transmit data.

Thanks
njs552
Last edited by njs552 on Aug 15th, 2013, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

I was just thinking of keeping it safe an dry topside. But I will put it on the ROV. Now I just need to figure out what type of watertight container I'm going to put all the onboard electronics in. My frame is the Seafox frame, but instead of using bilge pumps I will be using the brushless motors and esc's. Maybe another 3" pvc pipe like the ones used for the floats. Somehow have a clear dome or flat plexi cover on one end for the camera?
njs552

Post by njs552 »

A 3" PVC Pipe will work just fine, but are you going to use a threaded end, press fit, or actually seal it with PVC cement? PVC seems to be the most popular choice among people on this forum, and it is pretty cheap and fairly easy to do.

How are you going to pass wires through the pipe? Epoxy or some professional connector?

I am using a 3.75 ID aluminum tube that is sealed at the ends with o-rings and plastic. I am going to be getting a dome from cleardomes.com to cover one end of the aluminum tube, and the camera will be there on a tilt servo.

My robotics team has a small CNC (5.5x11.5in work area) so I will cut some 1/4in aluminum plates that will be welded to the tube.
Below is a 3d model of the design. I estimate they will cost me <$100 for two of them. They should be good to at least 200ft.

Thanks,
njs552
Attachments
This is the Main Pressure Vessel. 4.0 OD 1/8wall aluminum tube, 1/4in aluminum for the faceplates, 1/2in Polycarbonate and 1/4in acrylic for the backplate and dome respectively.
This is the Main Pressure Vessel. 4.0 OD 1/8wall aluminum tube, 1/4in aluminum for the faceplates, 1/2in Polycarbonate and 1/4in acrylic for the backplate and dome respectively.
Main Can Housing 0.75in .JPG (88.61 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

For those interested, Chris Konstad's ROV Monterey GUI 3.0 was just released!

https://github.com/rovsuite/monterey/releases