Why not openrov?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
ROVER3D

Why not openrov?

Post by ROVER3D »

I'm interested in what you think about openrov-project and why many of you DON'T want to buy/use it?
dna1990

Re: Why not openrov?

Post by dna1990 »

I think the OpenROV effort is awesome. This forum and certainly Steve's work predates that project, at least the organized product and following we see today.

I personally stayed with my own cobbled designs for the learning experience, and wanted a more 'electronic' level of interface. The Beaglebone and web server approach is cool, but I am not there yet.

But even if so, the name of this forum says it all. I can go to the car dealership or computer store and buy very nice commercial packages that are complete, well tested, etc. But many prefer to try it DIY and dabble out in the garage. Show their kids simpler machines, building skills, basic wiring, etc.

One last difference is that I would classify OpenROV as an eyeball ROV. It is compact, sleek, centered around the camera. Great for inspection and reconnaissance. My team is ultimately more interested in a utility-type ROV, meaning manipulator arm(s), sample extraction, instrumentation, delivery, and multiple cameras/configurations.
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

thanks for your answer. But why you dont use beaglebone for your rov-projekt. Have you developed your own control-system?
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Its a shame to see OpenROV-Videos on youtube...
... not from the integrated webcam! Only users placing Gopro on the ROV can post videos of it on youtube.

You buy an OpenROV for 850$ and gopro ~300$ to control your ROV by the integrated cheap webcam and to record and see nice dives after work you need external Gopro? :roll: This is really shit! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmYvPKMQlfw