Pro Boat PRB2314 ESC + arduino

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
jpWA

Pro Boat PRB2314 ESC + arduino

Post by jpWA »

This esc seems ideal for the 4in bilge blowers I'm using
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/D ... ID=PRB2314

But, I'm not sure what kind of signal you would use to control it with an arduino, or even if it is possible. Arduinos have a pwm output frequency of 500hz, and website says that the esc has a pwm frequency of 1000hz, but I don't know if this is input or output and the guy at the local hobby store didn't even know the difference between between pwm and analog.

I need some help from someone who knows this rc stuff in terms of normal electronics.
rossrov

Re: Pro Boat PRB2314 ESC + arduino

Post by rossrov »

Hi jp. The term PWM, although totally accurate, can cause confusion because it's used for both ESC (and servo) control from the radio receiver or microcontroller and is also the method used to vary the current supplied to the motor. The 1000Hz mentioned will be the frequency of the PWM that the ESC generates itself to control the motor with. Possibly handy to know depending on motor type, but often not mentioned in specs.
The 500Hz (20mS period) is what the radio or microcontroller outputs to the ESC, and is basically a universal standard. So to control this ESC just use normal servo control code in the Arduino

Ross
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

Thanks!
dna1990

Post by dna1990 »

Just a second consideration, that their term of waterproof is likely more like splash proof or even brief submersion under a few inches of water. It may not be waterproof at depth under pressure.
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

I know, I'll put it in a housing, but it's nice to know that a little bit of leakage isn't going to destroy my most expensive components
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

Now that it's arrived and I've hooked it up to my arduino, I can't get any proportional control out of it, no matter what input values I give it using the servo library or the analogWrite command. Does this have anything to do with having to "program" it with an RC controller?