tether apmridge drop

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Under_The_Surface

tether apmridge drop

Post by Under_The_Surface »

this might sound dumb but I was wondering how you get the electricity to the thrusters without a huge amp drop through resistance.
so I know that the longer the distance between power source and thruster = the slower the props spin. is it something to do with a transformer? if so could someone pls explain in simple terms
rossrov

Re: tether apmridge drop

Post by rossrov »

Hi UTS. Here's a link that describes VOLTAGE drop http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hints/-/ ... ltage_drop

Make sure you get a good understanding of electrical safety and potentially fatal electric shock hazards before playing around with anything over 12 volts. Also, water increases risk of shock.

With the battery at the surface (ie not in the ROV), use the lowest current thrusters that you can, and the thickest wire that is practical.

For thinner cable and a hence a more practical tether, consider using relays to switch the motors from a RC model battery in the ROV. Relay control current is much lower than motor current so you can use thinner tether wire. Google "motor reversing relay" to find diagrams and descriptions

Ross
Under_The_Surface

Re: tether apmridge drop

Post by Under_The_Surface »

thanks ross, im starting to understand now
im still learning how it all works and I hope to build a rov in a few months time
todd :D