tether wiring

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
jonnyhas

tether wiring

Post by jonnyhas »

Hi guys n girls, my new tether has 3x 18 awg wires and am using 2 no dc-dc step up converter's to up t he voltage they are rated 15a so was going to hook them up in parallel will this work? And also should use 2 no wires for each + and single for ground? Will this make a difference or will it not really matter?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jonny
rossrov

Re: tether wiring

Post by rossrov »

Hi Jonnyhas. The question is a bit unclear. Could you explain better or put up a diagram?
jonnyhas

Post by jonnyhas »

Ross, I have purchased a per manufactured cable that has 3no 18awg cores I am really wondering if I use 2cores for the + and the remaining core for the -/ground will this be better or make no difference than just using one core for + and one core for - ?

Hope that's clearer :? :D

Cheers jonny
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Thanks Jonny. Using one conductor for supply and one for ground would have more voltage drop than 2 for supply and 1 ground. So for a given length of cable and given total current you would drop say 4 volts for the 2 wire versus 3 volts for the 3 wire. Usually, the bigger wire and hence less voltage drop is desired for ground because ground is conventionally used as a reference. So use the 2 wires for ground and the third for supply. That way you will have less problems if you add control wires later.
jonnyhas

Post by jonnyhas »

thanks Ross, i wont have any more for control as i am using a vellemen 10 channel kit, although i do have a single control relay for switching the light's on.

cheers jonny