Turnigy 9X and ppm to pwm converter

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
slimsy

Turnigy 9X and ppm to pwm converter

Post by slimsy »

Hi,

As described in the headline I´m thinking of using a turnigy 9X to control my ROV and I have read here on the forum that it´s might be possible to use a ppm to pwm converter such as http://www.foxtechfpv.com/rmilec-ppmpwm ... p-403.html in the ROV end to control the motors and servos, will this work or does anyone have any other solutions that will work?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. Pictures on my build will soon be up inte project section :)
fluxno

Re: Turnigy 9X and ppm to pwm converter

Post by fluxno »

it seems that the 9x does not transmitt a ppm signal, but there are some that has made solution for it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1763334
slimsy

Post by slimsy »

Hi, ok.... When reading about the 9x it seemed possible to get a PPM signal from the trainer port if you remove the TX module. I have also seen some mods called Dragonlink which is for long range radio controlling (FPV) which seems to be almost the same installation as I´m thinking of using but with other components.

Worst case, wouldn´t it be possible to buy two of converter modules and connect the RX servo outputs to the converter. Convert it to a PPM signal, send i down a teather and the use another converter to convert it back?

What u guys think?
TOURNEUR

Post by TOURNEUR »

Hi Slimsy !

Think answer to this post long time after ,but listen ...
I wanted control a little rov with my Turnigy 9x too ,and with a simple ic and few componant (no programing needed)
You can control about 9 chanel trought a bifilar tether connected on your radio.

Using trainer port work good ,but without parameter on display ...
Another solution, need to connecting inside on the pcb directly, and have your ppm signal when powering your radio .

At the receptor ,a simple cmos counter CD4017 take this signal and produce the 9 servos signals.

I built one and tested it with all radio fonction at about 20 meter with a heder wire like tether,
I transmited my ppm signal and a video signal without any signal loss , think you can work more than 50 meters and more I think ....

It's a very lowcost system ...
Attachments
image022.jpg
image022.jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
slimsy

Post by slimsy »

Good answer!

But there are some things I have questions about. You are talking about connecting a circut to the receptor, do you mean the Rx unit? And where do I connect it to the Rx unit in that case?

Could you maybe draw me a skecth or something to show where in the Rx the "To Rx section" and the "Data input from Rx section" should be connected? What is also the difference between your circut and the one I linked to in my first post? Seems lite they do the same job?
TOURNEUR

Post by TOURNEUR »

hi Slimsy,

In first ,did no explain good ,what i'was do .

I realized a direct connection from my Transmitter (turnigy ) to my own built receptor just like this circuit attached in my post , don't use
any commercial receptor, cause internal bus not ppm .

In your transmitter from the main board (where is th µcontroler ) to emmiter convertor (2.4Ghz box witch you can pull behind your turnigy), you have ppm signal witch go the learn port too.

I had just clamp a connection from the emmiter convertor and put a new socket like learn port to can connect my tether cable .

But need some careful ,this modification can be fatalitic to your transmiter if you connect another thing on this port

Can put a shematic for more explain this system if you want ...
TOURNEUR

Post by TOURNEUR »

Here a very simplist sheme of the modification on the attached document ...

Some people can say ,learning port work too in this configuration :

Yes, allright ,but in power off configuration without the 2.4Ghz module ,and no backlight (if you have one like me ), and you can break the
very thin coaxial wire between your deconnected module and your antenna.

If you module convert ppm signal to effective servo signal ,I don't see why it's not possible work with your Turnigy ...
Attachments
before-after .PNG
before-after .PNG (30.87 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
slimsy

Post by slimsy »

Hi again,

Thanks for your answer but I haven´t had time to build my own circuit. But the ppm converter board( http://www.foxtechfpv.com/rmilec-ppmpwm ... p-403.html ) that I ordered earlier arrived a couple a days ago and I can report that it works perfectly!

I connected it to the ppm out and ground pins where the module normally goes into the TX and the I power the board from the speed controller.

If anyone want I can write a short guide that describes how to hook everything up and what you need?
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

slimsy wrote:Hi again,

Thanks for your answer but I haven´t had time to build my own circuit. But the ppm converter board( http://www.foxtechfpv.com/rmilec-ppmpwm ... p-403.html ) that I ordered earlier arrived a couple a days ago and I can report that it works perfectly!

I connected it to the ppm out and ground pins where the module normally goes into the TX and the I power the board from the speed controller.

If anyone want I can write a short guide that describes how to hook everything up and what you need?
I would appreciate a guide and diagram!

I have the FlySky FS-TH9X. Hopefully it would work the same?