Onboard batteries

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Sky

Onboard batteries

Post by Sky »

Hey all

Was considering if running onboard batteries would be better since I read that the battery to esc lead on a brushless esc shouldnt be lengthened otherwise it could damage the esc. Is this true?
What batteries would be best suited for onboard use
Lipo, SLA or NiHm/Nicd?
Can a brushless esc suited for lipo and Nihm/Nicd be connected to SLA batteries and a PSU?

And How can You work out approximate runtime of a battery (dont want like 10 minutes runtime with onboard :mrgreen: )

Thanks
Philipp
Forest

Re: Onboard batteries

Post by Forest »

if you where to use batteries for power you should probable use lipos because you will get a longer run time. but if you use batteries it will in cress weight.

what are you going to use to control your ROV? :)
Sky

Post by Sky »

Hey

Ill be using a arduino. Yea I think SLA or niCd/nimh would be better since they decrease buoyancy :)
Lipos are probably also a not so good idea since they can catch on fire ect
I already asked this in another thread but how can the pc to arduino cable be extended easily by 100ft besides using usb/ethernet extenders?

Thanks
Philipp
Spadinator

Post by Spadinator »

Li-pos only catch fire if they are damaged. I have been running Li-pos in aircraft for a while and have even crashed them with out a problem. They have a longer running time and less bulk and weight of batteries of the same rating. The only thing that I would recommend is that you insulate them to keep them warm. They have diminished capacity in the cold.
ROV-Control

Post by ROV-Control »

The image shows Lipoly Packs broken in 60m depth. No fire just damaged by shorten circuit.
Lipoly.jpg
Lipoly.jpg (138.26 KiB) Viewed 3611 times