Books or Plans

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
daelliott1234

Books or Plans

Post by daelliott1234 »

I'm in the concept phase of building an underwater crawler that will operate at a depth of 10-15 meters.

One of the main objectives of the crawler is to pick up and move rocks. I'm estimating the maximum size of a single rock to be the size of a basketball weighing 30 lbs (dry) and without trying to figure out Archemedes' Principle, let's say 6 lbs (wet).

What I'm looking for is a book, plans, etc that would allow me to build a manipulator that could raise a rock to a height of 2 feet. As I am in the concept phase, I'm willing to consider any option but prefer to build instead of buy.
sthone

Re: Books or Plans

Post by sthone »

It sounds like you have a very ambitious plan there, I'm sure it will be possible to lift that much using a crawler design just keep in mind with a crawler, the tracks (or wheels) can kick up a lot of silt or bottom debris which can obscure your camera view.

Anyway, my first thought would be using hydraulics and something along the lines of a forklift design were you can have two forks come in along each side the rock, squeeze together under it, and then lift it straight up, then it can be driven away. Just my first thought <><

-Steve :sting: