3D Printed Manipulator

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
sthone

3D Printed Manipulator

Post by sthone »

Manipulator000.jpg
Manipulator000.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
I was introduced to this new online based CAD program the other day called Onshape so I decided to design this a new Manipulator to see how well the program worked.
Manipulator001.jpg
Manipulator001.jpg (67.35 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
After a few hours of work these are the basics parts of the design that I cam up with. The hand and gripper finger portions of the manipulator will be 3D printed and attach to a PVC arm and motor housing much like some of the other manipulators that I've done in the past.
Manipulator002.jpg
Manipulator002.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
This is what the parts will look like when assembled.
Manipulator003.jpg
Manipulator003.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Here are a few cut away views to show how it works.
Manipulator004.jpg
Manipulator004.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
It will work of the same thread rod principle I have also used in the post. The actuator rod (not shown) will thread into the red slide block.
Manipulator005.jpg
Manipulator005.jpg (380.11 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
I've already printed out some of the parts at this point.
Manipulator006.jpg
Manipulator006.jpg (224.45 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
The basic mechanics seem like they are going to work I just need to print the main body of the hand. This will probably take a good 4-5 hours so I just need to find the time to do this now.

-Steve :grip:
Ian MacKenzie

Re: 3D Printed Manipulator

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Sweet!! Will it also rotate when finished?
What kind of printer are you using? I'm getting close to finishing my version of your Seafox and i'm already thinking ahead to the next one. Might just have to get myself a printer for that(if my wife lets me).
sthone

Post by sthone »

I was thinking about trying to get it to rotate.... instead of rotating at the wrist I might make the entire housing rotate but I haven't gotten that far in the design yet.

I print with Makergear M2's.

-Steve :sting:
Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

Really nice!!Are going to use gear motor or servo ?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Nice work!
I haven't started drawing up my manipulator yet, I might steal some of your ideas ;)
I am a little concerned about the strength of those pins though. Keep us updated!
sthone

Post by sthone »

It's going to use a geared motor.

The Pins??? Hell I'm concerned about the strength of the whole thing, :lol: but yeah this will be a good test.

Updates will continue shortly...... the hand portion is printing right now. :grip:

sthone

Post by sthone »

Manipulator007.jpg
Manipulator007.jpg (235.88 KiB) Viewed 9450 times
It's looking good so far. It's a little bit bigger than I envisioned though, I think it was about half this size in my head. :|

I need to print the slider next I'm just waiting on a special nut that will get imbedded into the print for the threaded rod.

TigerShark

Post by TigerShark »

Looks great, do you think you could share the file once you get it working like you want? I would like so modify it to fit my cordless screwdriver or is that what you are going for? I like the fact it has overlap which will help pickup thin objects like rope or wire.
sthone

Post by sthone »

TigerShark wrote:Looks great, do you think you could share the file once you get it working like you want?
Of course... you guys should know by now that I share everything I do. :D (I was open source before there was "open source", wait does that make me a Rov hipster or something?) :lol: I'm not sure what the cad format is though with Onshape I'll have to look into that still.

I'm just going to use a normal geared motor but same difference as a cordless screwdriver I guess.

-Steve
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

That's a really nice manipulator - thanks or sharing it.

I have been playing with Onshape, the free version. That also looks very good! At this time I use OpenScad for 3D Printing and Freecad for modelling. Onshape looks like it may do all those things but will need some practice to become proficient, I am a beginner in terms of 3D CAD.

Look forward to seeing your Onshape files for the manipulator.