3D Printed Manipulator

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
sthone

Re: 3D Printed Manipulator

Post by sthone »

Manipulator008.jpg
Manipulator008.jpg (307.81 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
This is a 8/32" stainless steel coupler nut I will embed into the slider of the manipulator.
Manipulator009.jpg
Manipulator009.jpg (174.61 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
I have the printer setup to automatically stop at the right layer, the nut is dropped into the piece, and then the printing is resumed to full embed the nut into the piece.
Manipulator010.jpg
Manipulator010.jpg (318.34 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
Here is the finished mechanics of the manipulator. Everything still seems like it will function as intended at this point.
Manipulator011.jpg
Manipulator011.jpg (334.27 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
Next a 4/40 heat set insert is pressed into the main pin.
Manipulator012.jpg
Manipulator012.jpg (185.68 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
I simple printed washer and a single 4/40 flat head machine screw (I still have to get one) will hold everything together and will make changing out optional fingers pretty easy later on.

-Steve
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Looks good!
How did you get the printer to pause before you inserted the nut? Did you add the pause manually or can you configure it through the slicer software you use?
sthone

Post by sthone »

olegodo, basically I manually edit the g-code to tell the printer to stop at the right layer so I do not have to babysit it for the entire print. I did a "How to" write up on another forum if you're interested, it can be found Here.

I use Simplify3D but I'm bet you can figure out the correct layer using other slicers.

-Steve :sting:
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Very cool work. I LIKE!

I thought about doing that embedding thing with the magnet setup I'm working on too, just wasn't sure if I wanted to have to tear each one apart when I need a new design (those rare earth magnets are expensive!) :).

Can't wait to see it in practice!
sthone

Post by sthone »

Yeah I made a magnetic fan mount for one of my printers and I had to tear out the magnets a few times that I tweaked the design, kind of a PITA.

I'm still messing with the design here and there so I haven't made the files "public" on Onshape yet but if you are an Onshape user and want to check out the design just PM me your email that you use with Onshape and I think I can "share" the design with you on there.

-Steve :sting: