Manipulator Seal

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
John

Manipulator Seal

Post by John »

Hi All,

I am building a manipulator and I need to purchase some LIP TYPE OIL SEALS. Can anyone give me a clue as to where I can find them? All I can seem to come up with are automotive large seals. I live in Huntington Beach, California. I am a new member and have enjoyed checking out all of the ROV's that you folks have assembled, but never seen anywhere about where to find the seals.
Thank You, John
sthone

Re: Manipulator Seal

Post by sthone »

(I know I all ready emailed you directly but for the benefit of others I'll post it here too :D)

A good place to find smaller seals is a motorcycle shop, the seals I used for my thrusters as well as the manipulators are small motorcycle oil seals. The particular ones I use fit a 6mm shaft are made by Honda. The Part number is either 91205-MJ0-003 or 91256-428-003 (I think I used the first part number but if I remember correctly both are 6x16x5 in size.)

Below is a variety of seals you can find at a motorcycle shop. The ones on the left are oils seals and the ones on the right are valve type seal (which I'm not to sure would work to well I haven't tested them yet)
seals.jpg
seals.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
-Steve
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Did either of you have any luck with these?
sthone

Post by sthone »

I used the oil seals on my manipulator without any problems. I haven't tested them past 40' but I guess they will go further than that.

-Steve :sting: