Jellyfish catching type ROV

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
Aquaticfox

Jellyfish catching type ROV

Post by Aquaticfox »

Hello everybody, I am trying to design a jellyfish catching type ROV but need to know what manipulator or tools can be used to do this or if its possible since jellyfish are incredibly fragile. I am thinking of a acrylic cylinder type basin with a O ring seal hatch controlled by two servos which Servo 1 will control closing the hatch and servo 2 will control pivoting the basin up or down
scubersteve

Re: Jellyfish catching type ROV

Post by scubersteve »

how about the acrylic cylinder having a small bilge pump attached to it so you can vacuum the jellyfish into the cylinder.
I would go with a momentary button type of control on it so you can just give little pulses of vacuum to draw the jellyfish in before closing.

why are you wanting to catch jellyfish?
Aquaticfox

Post by Aquaticfox »

scubersteve wrote:how about the acrylic cylinder having a small bilge pump attached to it so you can vacuum the jellyfish into the cylinder.
I would go with a momentary button type of control on it so you can just give little pulses of vacuum to draw the jellyfish in before closing.

why are you wanting to catch jellyfish?
That may pose a serious threat to the jellyfish since they can be liquified by the intake system. I want to perform some close up research on them "catch and release by the way"
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

I think it could be done without a problem.
If you are using a cylinder that is say 4" across then a small bilge pump attached to it (perhaps running on reduced voltage) if controlled in a series of small pulses should create a gentle enough vacuum to draw the jelly in question into the cylinder without harm.
Now if you just turned the bilge pump on and left it then I suspect you would make jellyfish puree rather quickly.

Remember...free advice is worth what you pay for it and everyone is an expert on the internet.

(In other words the preceding was just my 2 cents)
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
<><
Aquaticfox

Post by Aquaticfox »

scubersteve wrote:I think it could be done without a problem.
If you are using a cylinder that is say 4" across then a small bilge pump attached to it (perhaps running on reduced voltage) if controlled in a series of small pulses should create a gentle enough vacuum to draw the jelly in question into the cylinder without harm.
Now if you just turned the bilge pump on and left it then I suspect you would make jellyfish puree rather quickly.

Remember...free advice is worth what you pay for it and everyone is an expert on the internet.

(In other words the preceding was just my 2 cents)
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
<><
Yeah I get what your saying and would love to incorporate your idea into my ROV. Its just that the intake system scares me, any machine that has to do with jellyfish is not suppose to have any form of intake system, the current alone could rip the jellyfish apart. I work on the schematics a little more and let you know what I come up with.
Silver dollar

Post by Silver dollar »

I agree that jellys are fragile, so the bilge pump is not a good thing.
Your idea with the acrylic basin and lid is the best solution. Can you test it in surface waters before you build it with the servos?
Aquaticfox

Post by Aquaticfox »

Silver dollar wrote:I agree that jellys are fragile, so the bilge pump is not a good thing.
Your idea with the acrylic basin and lid is the best solution. Can you test it in surface waters before you build it with the servos?
I am still working on the schematics. I am having second thoughts about servos
ROVEnthusiast

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

What if you used a air dredge? It works by blowing a small amount of air into a tube and the air rising creates a vacuum and therefore, suction. It would be difficult to construct but wound be less likely to harm the jellyfish.
Aquaticfox

Post by Aquaticfox »

ROVEnthusiast wrote:What if you used a air dredge? It works by blowing a small amount of air into a tube and the air rising creates a vacuum and therefore, suction. It would be difficult to construct but wound be less likely to harm the jellyfish.
That sound doable for single jellyfish, if the R.O.V. is in a jellyfish bloom than it cannot be done since even a blubble can harm jellyfish. But like I said "sounds doable for single jellyfish" as long as I can develope a way to keep the R.O.V. stablized from the bubble output. Thanks =^.^=