UK Sources of PVC Pipe

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Cabbagehead

UK Sources of PVC Pipe

Post by Cabbagehead »

I've been trawling the internet for a few hours, trying to find 100mm (4") 16 bar PVC pipe for a decent price. After doing this, I have come up with some questions:
1. What is a decent price for this type of pipe? I seriously have no clue.
2. Where on Earth can I get this type of pipe for said decent price? I live in the UK, so that may be an issue.
3. What lengths are other peoples pipe-style ROVs? I was planning on around 400mm length.
4. Is 100mm diameter too large?

If you can answer any of these questions, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Cabbage
bigbadbob

Re: UK Sources of PVC Pipe

Post by bigbadbob »

Hi Cabbagehead.
If it's any help, I used 3" ABS class E. I "found" about a meter of it so can't help with supplier.
I then cracked some of it in the vice by mistake and made a couple of hulls with the rest so sorry I can't send you any.
my hulls were about 10" long but it depends what you want to squeeze in there.
I wouldn't say 100mm is too large. again it depends on what you need space for. larger diameter pipe needs less extra buoyancy on top.
ABS is only slightly negatively buoyant at 1.04g/cm3. (PVC is heavier at about 1.47g/cm3)
Class E is 16bar rated and is thick walled which helps with attaching things to it and sealing cable penetrations etc. (pvc class E is thinner walled)

Nominal Size (inch) Average Outside Diameter (mm) Average Bore Inside Diameter (mm) Average Wall Thickness (mm)
3" 88.9 72.4 8.3
4" 114.3 93.1 10.6

Searching for ABS class E pressure pipe shows that RS components sell 2m lengths of it- http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pvc-abs-m ... s/2653404/
Not cheap though especially once you add VAT. :-(
They seem to sell the shortest length, most suppliers sell it by 3m/4m/6m lengths.
If you can scrounge half a meter from an industrial building site you'd be on a winner.
Hope that helps.
BBB.