Who Sells PVC Pipe In Heavy Wall?

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
rehoward

Who Sells PVC Pipe In Heavy Wall?

Post by rehoward »

All the PVC pipe I have found is either schedule 40 or schedule 80 which isn't all that thick. Does anyone sell PVC pipe in schedule 160?

Randy
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Re: Who Sells PVC Pipe In Heavy Wall?

Post by KR2_Diving »

I've not seen anything that thick... but someone did one suggest that i keep an eye out when driving around down. Some construction sites use heaver walled pipe for gas / water lines and they often times will have scraps that are the perfect length for an ROV Hull... finding fittings might be tough... but it is a thought... Look for the stacks of LIGHT GREEN pipe or BLUE pipe.

Just a thought!
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Randy
How deep are you wanting to go it looks like you are thinking a 6" hull
Have you checked the rating of 6" sched 80 pvc
Also look into cast acylic tube can be bought in any length almost any diameter and quite thick
rehoward

Post by rehoward »

Mgbss wrote:Randy
How deep are you wanting to go it looks like you are thinking a 6" hull
Have you checked the rating of 6" sched 80 pvc
Also look into cast acylic tube can be bought in any length almost any diameter and quite thick
I am thinking of going 200' down for a start and have decided to build a drop camera instead of an ROV. That way I can get some knowledge under my belt first. Right now I am thinking of casting a pressure vessel from aluminum as plastic options seem to be pretty limited. I have a large metal lathe and can machine a decent size. I think I can get a usable signal from my bargain analog pin hole surveillance camera using a Cat5 cable. I might need to buy baluns to make it work at 200'. I don't exactly understand what a balun does or if I need them for 200'? I just bought a bag of RCA to twisted pair connectors to try out. I have the cam set up in my living room now sending a video signal to an old LCD computer display going through a 50' RCA cable and it has been doing fine. 6" hull seems about right as I will want to try an articulated camera that is gimbal mounted with servo control. Need some advice on small slow speed motors to drive the gimbal. So far it looks like 12VDC is what I will be using for camera, LED's, and gimbal motors. Hope that I can carry that over to an ROV design later.

Randy
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

The gimball I have converted for my rov is a pan tilt for a Boss Camera it has 2 mini servos and wasn't to bad to adapt a different camera to

As for your drop camera why don't you just use cctv cable you can get it 200 ft long and it already has the ends on it you would just make the ones at the camera water proof

Joe
rehoward

Post by rehoward »

Mgbss wrote:The gimball I have converted for my rov is a pan tilt for a Boss Camera it has 2 mini servos and wasn't to bad to adapt a different camera to

As for your drop camera why don't you just use cctv cable you can get it 200 ft long and it already has the ends on it you would just make the ones at the camera water proof

Joe
Would need signal for the camera gimbal servos yes? That is why I was thinking a direct burial Cat cable of some sort. Probably an Arduino board or similar for servo controls. And a joystick. I am very new to the electronic side of this but it seems doable. Will I need baluns for the camera signal? What sort of joystick device could work for aiming the camera? Thanks.

Randy
rehoward

Post by rehoward »

Mgbss wrote:The gimball I have converted for my rov is a pan tilt for a Boss Camera it has 2 mini servos and wasn't to bad to adapt a different camera to

Joe
What pan/tilt did you buy? Did it include the camera? Did it include a driver board for the servo motors? What voltage? Could it be joystick controlled? Thanks for the help.

Randy
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

It is called a BOSS cam they are used on FPV quad copters in the RC world
You can get it with the camera or without, the camera isn't very good in low light but the pan tilt is very compact

The suggestion of CCTV cable was for your drop camera not the rov although it is what I use on my rov but I use a rc radio not a computer board

Servos are 5v and use a rc receiver but I think they are PWM signal I am sure someone has figured out how to run them off the computer boards
rehoward

Post by rehoward »

"The suggestion of CCTV cable was for your drop camera not the rov although it is what I use on my rov but I use a rc radio not a computer board"

Now I am totally lost. How do you use an RC radio in a ROV application?

Randy
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

Randy

Look at the "Your ROV Project " section look at "ROV without a name" page 1 that is mine and on page 4 "ROV Progress" built by Bikerbones that will give you a little insight

When I get a chance I will try to answer questions -give more info

Joe