ROV Pressure Chamber

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Toffe

ROV Pressure Chamber

Post by Toffe »

Hi People :)

I'm thinking about building an pressure chamber, and I'm thinking steel plates! My pressure chamber will be 100x65x45cm and i want it to tolerate 10 bars.

As of me, I'm a developer, programmer, electronics guy. "Manly Man Steel Plates" is not up my alley. So I have to get some help here, 100x65 = 6500cm2, 10 bars = 10kg/cm2 which will make it 65TONS if i calculate correct of total pressure on that single plate!

Then its tons after tons everywhere. So there is a lot of pressure inside a chamber of that size. And i dont want my water to leak out before I'm ready! hehe.

So my question is, how big of a steel plate do i need to use on this "project". Any tip?

I was hoping for 5mm steel plates, weld em shut in each corner. Make a "peek hole" on each sides (smallest side) and make a hatchet which i can open and put my whole ROV in.

But will 5mm be enough? Can it handle that pressure?
fryslan76

Re: ROV Pressure Chamber

Post by fryslan76 »

No Clue if 5 mm is enough, but if possible use a tube for the main body of the chamber. That eliminates a lot of welding = problems. Look for an old gasoline tank they can handle some pressure.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Fuel tanks are not really rated to much,

old gas cylinders however are! you need to fill them with water, drain, repeat a few times, before you can cut them open. but they can handle some serious pressure!
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

I think fryslan76 meant gas, like LPG or propane. Good advice re the water purging. Still a bit nerve wracking attacking an old gas bottle with the angle grinder though, no matter how many washes. Toffe, check out how these people do it: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1656
Toffe

Post by Toffe »

Thanks a lot.

I cant say enough that i _want_ it to fit my whole ROV. So it needs to be around thoose sizes, getting a propane tank or simular with thoose dimmensions might be hard so thats why i ask about using metal sheets making it a square is also much easier, cheaper and simpler to "transport".

But i've found out that 5mm would bulge a lot as i see it. So i might go up to 10 and that will be damn heavy again :-/
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

i know you want to put the whole ROV in the chamber, but why don't you put individual components in there?

thats whats ROV manufacturers do!
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Toffe, indeed I had a gas tank in mind. In the Netherlands a lot of farms have these still some where in the back yard so here they are easy to come by.

What is the reason you want to stick the whole ROV in the tank?