Question about power converter cooling

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
dtrip

Question about power converter cooling

Post by dtrip »

Hello all,

I have decided to use a power generator 230V from the surface. This is because the cables will be smaller and cheaper,
and because I want to have ample headlights without worrying wether it will deplete the batteries quickly.

This will require a power converter from 230V AC to DC, inside the submarine.

I am told that this will produce too much heat, which must be sinked somehow into the sea.

The solution I have found is to have a separate "power converter box", outside the main hull.
This box will be made of steel and contain the power converter, dipped in oil. In such a way, we have
a natural "water cooled" power supply.

How do you think of this idea ? And if anybody has done something similar, can you please post the link ?

An alternative I thought about is to have the converter into the main hull, and put the converter into
a solid material which will be good conductor of heat but poor conductor of electricity. But I do not know
of such a solid material (I dont want oils inside the main hull). This would make the construction much simpler.
Do you know of such a material ?

Thanks in advance! My progress is slow but steady. This is the final issue to resolve. During the summer
I will prototype an acrylic ROV for swimming pool usage, then build an identical steel hull for the real thing.
Bindo

Re: Question about power converter cooling

Post by Bindo »

It really depends on the power supply intend to use, can you give us a link or more info?