Waterproofing batteries

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
puzzler300

Waterproofing batteries

Post by puzzler300 »

Hi there,
I have an Idea for a deep diving ROV <=600' and I wanted to waterproof my batteries. The catch is that I want to use my Lipo-batteries as ballast, locating them outside my main housing. My idea is to take a fairly a flexible tube, slide the battery into it, and fill each end with silicon caulking, leaving the wires exposed. Any thoughts? I'm not sure how well this would stand up to pressure (281psi), or if it's wise to apply silicon directly to a Lipo.
Attachments
I apologize for my sloppy diagram.
I apologize for my sloppy diagram.
Untitled.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
Jaman42

Re: Waterproofing batteries

Post by Jaman42 »

One problem with a flexible tube could be that the batteries may experience uneven pressure, have you thought about using a pressure compensated housing instead filled with none conductive oil?
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

Well, I suppose I've thought of having a housing that is filled with oil and then sealed. But as of right now, I was thinking of using a Tupperware container and filling it with silicon, and mounting it too my frame.

Thinking about it now, the oil idea seems the best route. Though I have no idea how to make it compensating.
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

Also, when I say fairly flexible, I meant very flexible. Like taking a very wide diameter piece of shrink tube and sealing a battery inside of it.
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

Sorry to triple post, but unless I'm mistaken, LiPos are pretty well sealed. The only areas I'd think you have to worry about are where the leads connect to the batter. Water proof that and you should be fine (I would think). Also things like plastidip and liquid electrical tape look like a good way to seal a LiPo.