STRESS SIMULATION

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
RV-BETANCOURT

STRESS SIMULATION

Post by RV-BETANCOURT »

Hello, how are you you guys doing?.
I´m trying to design my first Rov, and I would like to know if any of you know any software which I could use to simulate the hydrostatic pressure on the hull... I´m trying to use Inventor 2012, but I have to apply constrains on the hull, and none of the options fit to a submerged body under external pressure. Do any of you know how to simulate the hydrostatic pressure?... Please forgive my english. hehehe
bikerbones1968

Re: STRESS SIMULATION

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I have not seen any software for such a thing. I am not saying it does not exist I just havent seen it. Prior to sending anything critical to depth I did this. No internal controlls, esc's, sensors, boards, cameras etc were left in the hull. except for a cheap water sensor. I weighted it down, attached to a rope and sunk my hull to 200 feet for two hours. I pulled it back to the surface and opened it up. No water, test sucessful. Crude yes but effective.
RV-BETANCOURT

Post by RV-BETANCOURT »

Thanks Dude!, I´ve just found out that you can do such analysis in Inventor 2012. Once you have modeled the Hull, go to the environment of stress analysis, create a simulation, and in the dialog box, check the first checkbox "Detect and eliminate rigid body modes".. This way it wont be necessary to add any constrain to your model, just the forces acting on it... Thanks for your reply buddy!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Sounds like i could use that software LOL.
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

I'm gonna resurrect this thread because I want to learn more about stress simulation if anyone has any information to share. I am using Inventor myself since that's what I use in my work but I have never done any stress simulation with it, but I thought it would be good to learn.

I created a new simulation, ticked the "Detect and Eliminate Rigid Body Modes" and applied 3.1 Mpa pressure on the outside surfaces. I attached the result report, I have no Idea on how to read it. I thought I understood it but then I changed the cylinder wall thickness to 5mm instead of 3mm and got a worse result so I guess I read it wrong. Can anyone shed some light?
Attachments
Stress Analysis Report.pdf
5mm wall thickness
(272.67 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Stress Analysis Report.pdf
3mm wall thickness
(390.67 KiB) Downloaded 495 times