Anyone using Cree LED torches for lighting?

Illuminating the Abyss.
bigdavevw

Anyone using Cree LED torches for lighting?

Post by bigdavevw »

Hi, i,m looking to build my first ROV and i was thinking of using one of these Cree lights for lighting. I have used them before and they are really bright. Battery life is good too.

Has anyone used them for lighting?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality- ... 887wt_1185

Dave
bikerbones1968

Re: Anyone using Cree LED torches for lighting?

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Hi Dave I see your post is unanswered. I am not sure if anyone has used those light here or not. I am new to the forums and havent seen any mention of them yet. There is one post from Dratsabylgu that details what type works the best for underwater lighting. I am quoting the post below in the event you havent seen it.

"For good lighting you need the correct color and enough light.

If you wanted to use LEDs the the color temp should be 6000 - 6500 K, this is the same color temp as normal daylight.
And you need lots of light so go for something like this http://www.ledssuperbright.com/30w-led- ... -led-p-226

Also very important for filming under water is backscatter, this is the reflection of light on particles floating in the water.
To minimize this backscatter its important to place your lamps so that the reflecting light can't reach the lens of the camera."

Hope this help you out.

Anthony
Rover

Re: Anyone using Cree LED torches for lighting?

Post by Rover »

Yes, we are using 3 watt LED flashlight like the URL you posted.

We chucked the flashlight up in the lathe and cut off the back end of the flashlight, connect wires to the lamp and ran them off of the PWM lighting control inside the ROV.

The flashlights where then slid inside of a 1" PVC pipe coupling with a plexi-glass lens.

They work very well. If they are to bright you can slightly opaque the plastic lens.

We bought the flashlights at Sam's Club. They came as a two pack.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0270 (Large).JPG
IMG_0270 (Large).JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
IMG_0268 (Large).JPG
IMG_0268 (Large).JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 5103 times